Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Check your information/spelling/grammar before uploading...    

Check your information/spelling/grammar before uploading...

pyes
New Zealand

Check your information/spelling/grammar before uploading...

This website is a great resource but it falls down in part because of some of the quality/accuracy of the handouts. I have discovered many basic errors with grammar, spelling and even simple things like having correct song lyrics. If a teacher doesn �t notice the mistakes then they pass that mistake onto the student.
I know teaching isn �t an exact science but giving students quality resources with accurate information should be. 

22 Nov 2012      

ikram jeseen
Sri Lanka

In my opinion there should be some kind of mechanism in this site to make sure the worksheets devoid of grammatical or spelling errors. I mean if any ws contains too many grammatical or spelling errors such ws should be removed. 
I feel it is high time we made some amendments in this regard. 

23 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

Good Morning,

I have another opinion: as a teacher it is your job to ensure teaching materials are accurate before you introduce them in the classroom. 

The resource we have here in ESLP is wonderful and it functions because of goodwill and non-confrontational teamwork between people all over the world.  To start playing "grammar cop" would discourage people from contributing.  I find it so refreshing to go back and look at some members � first worksheets and then what they are creating today.  I think a grammar check would have a negative effect on the positve energy that drives this website.

It is very scary to expsoe yourself to critic, especially when one is writing in a foreign language and those of you that do this have my utmost respect.  If I were to create worksheets in German, I know there would be mistakes no matter how hard I tried.

Just my opinion,
Douglas

OBTW: since docs are in MS Word, you can turn on spell check and grammar check--which are effectively what you are asking for here.

23 Nov 2012     

joannagrace2911
Philippines

(In a PEACEFUL TONE)Clap Ahm. In my opinion, Great answer Douglas!

23 Nov 2012     

vincenza
Italy

Just a thought.... Obviously I am NOT implying that Native speakers automatically speak better English than our 2nd language colleagues....  but perhaps if there were some way in which we could discreetly "inform" our colleagues of their (minor) errors when we note them???? 
Victor, any ideas???

Personally I have sent messages to a couple of colleagues so that they would avoid "embarrassment". 
We �re all in this together so I really don �t think we should criticise each other but try to assist instead....
Have a wonderful day everybody and keep on sending your wonderful work.
Hug

23 Nov 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

I �m with douglas

23 Nov 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

Surely it is up to the teacher to check what they give out to the students. At least here we can edit the mistakes. Recently I was looking at a FCE (Cambridge) text book which had a shocking mistake but because it was a published textbook I couldn �t change it.
Perhaps you could turn it to your advantage and say, "Spot the deliberate error".
I encourage my students to see mistakes as evidence of new learning..If they never make mistakes then they are NOT experimenting with new, complex, more difficult constructions!
Remember the old saying: never look a gift horse in the mouth!  Thumbs Up

23 Nov 2012     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I make worksheets in 4 languages (German, French English and Portuguese) My mother tongue is German, but my German worksheets aren�t any better than my Portuguese or French ones I check them recheck them twice or more. The problem is, it is easier to find other people�s mistake than our own.  As we know what should be written, we easily oversee the mistake. Sometimes I find a mistake several months later. I think that our colleagues could send a polite PM to alert and we can correct the mistake updating the worksheet.

23 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

I fully agree with the "letting someone know with a friendly PM".  Personally, I have had the following message on my profile for a year or two:

"I would appreciate a PM message if you notice errors on any of my materials."

Like Vincenza says: "We �re all in this together."

23 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think the standard of the wss is exceptional. Of course there will be the occasional error, but, what �s the problem? They �re not pdf, thank god.

23 Nov 2012     

joannagrace2911
Philippines

I would appreciate corrections also, alert me on my pm if you see some mistakes, thank you

23 Nov 2012     

1    2    3    Next >