Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is this sentence correct?    

Is this sentence correct?

no mistake
Algeria

Is this sentence correct?

We can learn in minutes of grand ordeal what years of quiet life cannot !

25 Nov 2012      

Apodo
Australia

The second part of the sentence needs a verb, also minutes of grand ordeal doesn �t sound quite right.
Maybe:
We can learn in minutes of great ordeal what years of quiet life cannot teach us!

25 Nov 2012     

no mistake
Algeria

Thanks for helping me out!

25 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Apodo.

Bruce

25 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

or (a little poetic, but it works too):

"We can learn in minutes of grand/great ordeal what we cannot in years of quiet life!"

26 Nov 2012     

Dr. Ahmad El-Maghraby
Egypt

This sentence is neither structurally nor semantically correct. The noun clause (the direct object) "what we cannot in years of quiet life" lacks the base form of the essential verb.  Yet, I think it may be preceded by a related sentence that includes the verb omitted in it either for the requirement of eloquence or for the lack of necessity of the use of such a verb. If you extract a sentence from a text, you should first look into the context. I agree with Apodo that  "great" is better than "grand". 

26 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

It may go against the rules, but it would be used by a native speaker (poetically, as I already implied) and acceptable in academia. 

26 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

But, Dr. Ahmad, it is preceded by a clause that includes the verb omitted in it, so it is correct. I agree with Douglas.

Bruce

26 Nov 2012