Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Error Correction :(    

Error Correction :(

ironik
Australia

Error Correction :(

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions to ask. I have an assignment on error correction and I need your help.

1. She married to Guy Ritchie and they have three children.

Here, my tutor says there is a clumsy structure and I have to correct it. It looks correct for me but she says I have to correct it like a native wrote it, so it should sound natural. Can you help me?

2. Now everybody listen and love to her.

I corrected this sentence as: "Now everybody listens to her and loves her", but can I omit the first her? Is "everybody listens to and loves her" also possible?

Thanks beforehand and I wish you a great Sunday! Here in Turkey we are lucky to have some sunshine in the weekend, and I �m looking forward to enjoying it as soon as I �m done with my assignment Smile

2 Dec 2012      

miyoko71
Morocco

1-She got married  to Guy Ritchie and they have three children

2 Dec 2012     

memthefirst
Turkey

For the first one I would say; She is married to Guy Ritchie and they have three children. or She married Guy Ritchy and they had three children.

2 Dec 2012     

ironik
Australia

2 Dec 2012     

valentinaper
Greece

About the second one, I think both your suggestions are correct. Another one could be:
Now everybody listens to her songs and love her.
or
 Now everybody loves her songs and she has lots of fans.
This is a bit more explicit. Hope I �ve helped.

2 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1. She �s married to Guy Ritchie and they have three children.

2. Now everybody listens to her and loves her.

You are right to keep �her � twice, it doesn �t sound right without it.  It would be OK with 2 transitive verbs e.g. Now everybody watches and adores her.

2 Dec 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

Number 1 could also be: She married Guy Ritchie and have three children.

2 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ed, I prefer �She �s married to Guy Ritchie and they have three children. � I think it �s describing the state, rather than the action. 

2 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Everyone, wouldn �t it be more correct to say, "She WAS married to Guy Ritchie, and they have three children." They got a divorce in 2008, after all.

2 Dec 2012     

ironik
Australia

ha ha, I guess my student doesn �t know that because her next sentence is: 
She lives with them in England.

Thanks everyone Smile

2 Dec 2012