Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your opinion and help;)    

I need your opinion and help;)

Rosa_Rose
Egypt

I need your opinion and help;)

Hi all..and Good morning

As a teacher of young learners I noticed something�

( I know that most of us are overloaded and can�t contact the pupils and their parents as it should be..)

But, it is like magic effects when I call the pupil and correct her mistakes in front of her / in person, giving my advice and tips, thanking her for the good deeds she did, praising her attitudes, manners, asking her to thank her mother/father  for their daily follow-up and caring�.etc.

That makes the pupils more confident, specially the low achievers, and strengthens the relation between them and me as a teacher and as an adult. It also makes the pupil�s attitudes towards the subject more positive .

I want to know your opinions and please, tell me if you know any recourses that can help me to read more about it.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

3 Dec 2012      

papadeli
Greece

The Power of the Positive Phone Call Home
Greeetings from Greece,

3 Dec 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

This is something I do all the time, actually, because it really is the key to have the kids motivated to learn.
I usually do this all the time though, even - or especially - in class. I remember one boy who was really .. let �s say not so easy to handle - nicely said. And all teachers were extremely nervous when it came to him, started shouting at him and after a while blaming him for things he didn �t even do, just because he was next to the kid who actually did it ... And NOTHING worked. No punishment, no shouting whatsoever. Teachers nervous, parents nervous, everybody nervous.
I have never been a fan of shouting and punishing so I just watched everybody else and thought I �d give my method a try - positive reinforcement, which helps most of the time.
I always found something that was worth praising. Even if it was extremely tiny!!!! I wouldn �t have praised others for picking up a crayon from the floor because that �s something "normal" for everybody else to do. But when he did it, I would tell him how nice it was and when the other saw that I praised him they got even more eager to clean up as well. I would also always tell his parents when they came to pick him up about how great he worked today. You can �t imagine how happy they were, the parents and the boy, to hear something nice at least once per day. This went on for days and weeks with the consequence that in the end he became one of the kids that were supernice, helped everybody, paid attention and even corrected others if they didn �t do something they were not supposed to do. It was a 180� change really.
Finding positive things and to also let the kids know about them helps them develop their self esteem and motivates them to get through tasks that might not be as easy and fun.
So, it really is very essential - for little kids, but also for older ones ;)
Just my little humble opinion and experience :)

3 Dec 2012     

Rosa_Rose
Egypt

Many thanks to you papadeli

and SaraMariam with her amazing & fruitful experience and great & appreciated opinion.

I wish i could get more sharings..

I �m waiting,dears ;)

3 Dec 2012     

juliag
Japan

You guys are all great!

I have also been able to (mostly) turn around a very difficult and negative relationship with a student by doing things like:
-  praising her for the good things she does, however basic they seem
-  taking her aside at the end of the lesson to ask her (nicely) was anything the matter and was there anything I could help her with
-  being much more willing to laugh with her and at myself when she is making only slightly-rude comments and jokes about me (not, obviously, if she is being rude to someone else)
-  sending letters home to comment on her improved attitude and her kindness to a new student in the class
-  encouraging her to take on a position of responsibility in helping said new student adjust to the class

I think it is always better to be positive than negative (much easier said than done) and really enjoyed reading all of your stories about your classroom, thank you for sharing them with us.

3 Dec 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

Great points, Julia. They also pretty much always work with me. What I always found amazing was, when I gave the task to be the "teacher �s assistant" of the day .. how strict the kids can actually be in keeping the order in the classroom :D. Amazing.

3 Dec 2012