Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A doubt!     

A doubt!

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

A doubt!

Good evening everyone!

Can you please help me with the following exercise? It goes like this: Rewrite the sentences, starting them as suggested.

"Cloning may be used for questionable purposes. So many people are against it."

Since ....

Is it correct if we use "so" in the rewritten sentence?:

"Since cloning may be used for questionable purposes, so many people are against it."

This specific exercise is to use linking words/ phrases to join sentences. Isn �t  the "SO" a linking word in the sentence or is it a word to express quantity (a lot of people)?

Sorry if my explanation is a bit  confusing.

I appreciate your help.

Have a nice day or evening!Smile

5 Dec 2012      

yanogator
United States

No, you can �t use "so" in this case (with "since"). Since you need to use "since", you should say, "Many people are against cloning, since it may be used for questionable purposes."

Bruce

5 Dec 2012     

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

That �s what I thought, but a student insisted that she meant "a lot of people" when she used "so" . 
 Remember that the sentence had to start by "since". Even in this case it is not correct to use "so". Right?

Thanks a lot!

5 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

You are right. We would say "very many people" in this case, not "so many people". We generally use "so many" when there is a consequence as in "So many people were here that I couldn �t find enough chairs for them".

I misread the original, which is why I put "since" in the middle. To start with "since", it is just "Since cloning may be used for questionable purposes, many people are against it" (without anything linking the clauses).

Bruce

5 Dec 2012     

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

Thank you very much once again.

Your cooperation is always very helpful.

Have a good night!

5 Dec 2012