Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Bingo Hell!    

Bingo Hell!

Kempyx
Fiji

Bingo Hell!

Hi all,
I �ve been playing Christmas Bingo with several kids classes recently, aged between 6 and 12. I thought it would be a fun way to help them learn Christmas vocabulary.
More often than not, the game has been an absolute disaster, with kids crying, screaming, tearing up their bingo cards and one even storming off in a huff because his words didn �t come out! This despite me making sure that every kid would win at least once (just some kids complete a row sooner than others, of course). And despite me making every effort to make the game funny and light-hearted.
Weird, right?

This could have something to do with me teaching in China, where the one child policy makes many kids extremely spoiled and used to getting their way by screaming.
But is that the only reason? Am i doing something wrong? Does this happen to any of you and how do you deal with it?

Thanks for your replies!

11 Dec 2012      

roberta55
Portugal

Hello,
I think that nowadays team games are always better than individual ones because children are very competitive.  They are taught to be the best to be successful in life and so they have problems in accepting the obstacles of life.

I also think the chinese individualism versus colectivism is something difficult to understand. Perhaps your students � atitudes have something to do with this - they have to be great individually for the sake of the group.  

Just guessing!!!!! 

11 Dec 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

That �s bizarre.  I �ve never had a problem with bingo and I have worked in Peru, Indonesia, Taiwan and South Korea.  You might want to ask your Chinese colleagues about this.  It might be more than a cultural problem.

Good luck!

11 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I sometimes have students react badly to losing. I have no patience with it, and I chant, �Bad loser! Bad loser! Nobody likes a bad loser! � Students now join in and they (some of them) have learned that to lose gracefully is a very good thing. Having said that, all of my students are over 11.

11 Dec 2012