Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > pronunciation    

pronunciation

racim
Algeria

pronunciation

Dear all,
          Do we pronunce " Could I come in ?"  with a falling or a rising intonation at the end of the question .
Thank you .

12 Dec 2012      

yanogator
United States

Falling at the end. Stress on "I", then falling from there.

I would diagram the intonation like this:

I
                    come   in?

Could

12 Dec 2012     

chrissmolder
Australia

It could be pronounced with a falling or a rising intonation.  It is conventional to teach that yes/no questions (questions beginning with an auxiliary and not a question word) are spoken with a �rising � intonation.

Intonation is a very complex issue, but two common uses of it in this case might be as follows:

falling - spoken to a person who is familiar to you (a relative, friend or colleague) or inferior (an employee) and it is assumed that the answer will be �yes �

rising or fall-rise - polite, the question seems more genuine

�Come in � is a phrasal verb with an adverbial.  This means that the tonic will probably be on �in � since ��in� is a content word and �come in� is the focus of the phrase/sentence.  The tonic is the place where the tone usually falls or drops and then rises again.  If it is rising, the intonation sometimes rises throughout the whole phrase/sentence, but with �in � as the highest and longest syllable.  Again--intonation varies considerably, but these are some general tendencies of some native speakers (others may disagree!).

Sometimes a fall-rise seems like it is falling, but it does gently rise again at the end.  This may be the most common type of intonation for this question, but I would have to check the research.  I can recommend a great thesis on the subject if you are interested!

13 Dec 2012