Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Headbanz    

Headbanz

EstherLee76
Peru

Headbanz

Ok, the post about Rory �s Story Cubes intrigued me so I went into Amazon and checked it out.  Then I saw this game posted there.
You put the card on your head and ask questions with "Am I?" and try to guess the card.  I �m thinking "Great!" but they probably don �t ship to Peru.

I can figure out how to make the cards.  Can anyone suggest how to make the bands?  We used to pin things on peoples backs or tape things on the forehead but it was very awkward.   Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Esther

13 Dec 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d suggest a trip to a fabric store to buy either elastic (the kind used for waistbands) or double-sided Velcro (hooks on one side, fluff on the other). With the elastic, you �ll need to cut and sew the bands together; it �s more work, but it will probably be a lot cheaper. With the double-sided Velcro, all you need to do is cut the stuff, but it �s a lot more expensive and you �ll need to be sure it �s tight because it doesn �t stretch. It may not be as comfortable, either. Good luck!

I actually saw the Hedbanz out shopping today, so it seems to be a relatively popular game here in the USA.

13 Dec 2012     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Isn �t it possible to do it with post-its? Much cheaper and they tend to stick on your forehead too... ;)

14 Dec 2012     

miss K.
Ukraine

I play a similar game with my students. You don �t need headbands at all. It �s A3 cardboard and there are pictures drawn on one side. Each sheet of cardboard represents one animal. the center of the cardboard is cut out. The cardboard was given to me by friends and was used on one side so I had to stick two sheets together and I asked somebody else to draw pictures for me as a gift for holidays. So it was not time consuming or expencive for me at all. Children get the kick out of it! 

14 Dec 2012     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

You could use flashcards (any topic) and buy elastic strips of material (aka headbands) and stick flashcards on these strips with a paperclip :)

I saw this game on Amazon the other day and wanted to get this one too, but I am not sure it will have all the pics I need for my students, so flashcards were an idea.

14 Dec 2012     

Granny elie
Ireland

You can use Post-its with th class vocabulary

14 Dec 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Actually, post-its have a short life span and they are quite expensive down here.  I kind of wanted to do something like below.  A teacher in Japan put this on her blog.  She had her students help her with making them.  I �m going to look in the fabric store with elastic band and velcro ideas.
Thanks a bunch to all of you!

14 Dec 2012     

perma
Greece

Using colourful cards is of course a fun element but if you haven �t got them you can play the same game in your class with no preparation at all: 
Just get a student standing up with his back turned to the board and write on the board the word you want him/her to find. The other students can see it but the one standing up can �t, so he/she asks the questions and the rest of the class answer. They will enjoy it anyway Wink

14 Dec 2012