Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Another mass shooting in the US!    

Another mass shooting in the US!

_babz
Canada

Another mass shooting in the US!

Tragedy has struck again in the US.

There �s been another mass shooting, and this time, it involved an elementary school, where 20 children and 5 educators were murdered! 

(this news has really affected me, and I �m sure all of you, especially since we �re all teachers)

I don �t know how a person can do such a horrific act and shoot innocent children....but what I do know, on Monday, many students will surely want to talk about this.

As educators, it �s important that we do, , this must be discussed, and a school should ALWAYS be a safe place for every child.

Let us pray for the victims and their families.

Thanks.

14 Dec 2012      

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Like you I am  hurting deeply for the families of those innocent victims.

My prayers join yours for all those involved.

15 Dec 2012     

persie
Turkey

I think these unfortunate events are the result of the systems that show unlimited tolerance to people no matter what they do. I �ve been working in a primary school and it �s very normal that a 13-year old student insults teachers, kicks the doors in the school and bullies younger students. Believe me, we teachers and school managemet staff can �t do anything to stop him. We can �t expel him or send him to another school or give him a penalty. If we try to do this, officers from the educational ministry come quickly (btw-it �s not possible to find them when you really need) and tell us we don �t have the right to do this. Thay say "A student is more valuable than everything. If there is something going wrong, it �s because of teachers. They don �t know their jobs, they can �t educate students properly etc." Last year, older brothers of the same student attacked our school manager in his room and threatened him and other teachers with death if they say anything to their younger brother. Neither the police nor the educational officers took it serious because if a teacher is killed, it �s not a big deal for them. We teachers are really desperate and such tragic events will happen again in another place in the world unless the reasons that lie beneath will be clearly and sincerely discussed.  

15 Dec 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I have used an article from mary glasgow magazine and one from breakingnews on this subject together with the film Bowling for columbine.

It is truly tragic that young people feel that the only solution is pick up a weapon and use it on innocent others.

Cindy

15 Dec 2012     

Jayho
Australia

It �s just dreadful - such a terrible loss of so many young lives.

These days so many young people are resorting to violence to solve their problems.

Here is a useful article for teachers on how to talk to children about violence: http://www.teachervision.fen.com/safety/resource/6812.html

Praying for everyone affected by this tragedy.

15 Dec 2012