Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > will and shall     

will and shall

racim
Algeria

will and shall

Hello again !
Some colleagues told me that it �s not correct when saying   "  Will I  " .They said it �s better using" shall I ".but I don �t find it correct  it �s more used for asking permission, isn �t it ?
Thank you .

16 Dec 2012      

Pelletrine
France

"Shall I..." is rather old fashion, and wouldn �t be used by any native speaker in a �every-day-sentense � like :
�I will never speak to him again �

"I shall never speak to him again" .... is  correct .... but:

- You might find that in old theatre-play scripts.

16 Dec 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Hi Racim: It is quite possible to use shall when offering to do something
ex: Shall I help you? or, shall I switch on the light?
In that case, will is not used. Shall , in that case is a way of suggesting.
But, on the other hand, you could use will to ask someone to do something, in a polite way: Will you turn on the lights for me, please?
I hope that helps!Wink and if you are patient enough, you can read this! Big smile Good luck!!

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersideofwriting/a/shallwillglossary.htm

16 Dec 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Will� has more or less supplanted �shall� as a simple future marker in the first person - well, this has certainly been the case in Scotland and Ireland, as well as North America. Mind you, as Mariethe points out, you still tend to find �shall � being used in questions when asking for an opinion, a suggestion, a decision or preference. When you replace it with �will �, the question often changes meaning; it would suggest that a prediction is required. Classic example from Shakespeare:

When shall we three meet again?
                  v
When will we three meet again?

You may be interested to know that even the great Oscar Wilde (an Irishman) was known to ask for help from editors and friends with his �wills � and �shalls �. 

17 Dec 2012     

foose1
United States

I agree with the previous post.  Although shall has replaced should in the majority of the standards for the software, Automotive, industial production (ISO 9xxx), heath, HS&E, Aeropace (AS9xxx) and ANSI standards as it is expected that companies meet the requirements of the standard and adhere to them.  Worldwide, it was a shock to the majority of manufacturing companies.
John 

17 Dec 2012