Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY, Monday, 17.12.2012    

WORD OF THE DAY, Monday, 17.12.2012

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WORD OF THE DAY, Monday, 17.12.2012

Thank you, Pelletrine, for choosing me as the Winner of WOD.

Here is another word for the Members to define, comically, seriously, stupidly, but NOT accurately.

"SPREZZATURA"

What is it?

Do you wear it; eat it with ice-cream; kiss it; use it in the Past Perfect Tense; spray it on artificial flowers; or just ignore it?

Lots of hyper-superstitious people don �t like this!

(I �m not one of them --- although I must confess that I WOULDN�T walk under a burning building just to see one!)

Let �s have your entries, please.

Les Douglas

17 Dec 2012      

almaz
United Kingdom

"Sprezzatura?"

Back-slang question for cross-dressers who like to �sandwich � former UK Deputy Prime Ministers.

17 Dec 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

Sprezzatura is a machine used to make that Italian coffee... you know spresso. Ed

17 Dec 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Sprezzatura is a hard, pressed cheese made from the milk of Burlina cattle in the Veneto region of Italy. It is typically cured in caves for up to two years before it is dipped in green wax for sale. The cheese is surprisingly popular in Japan, where it can command very high prices.

17 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

Sprezzatura

from German: Spritztour-joyride, jaunt, hop

A sprezzatura is what an Italian takes when he visits Germany and his friend offers him the keys to his new Audi.  <<emphasis on a bad Italian accent>>

Cheers,
Douglas

18 Dec 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

I am really sorry dear members, but I do have to say that you are wrong....

"SPREZZATURA"

this words refers to an "ancient" technique of painting, during renaissance period, when the painter had to paint faster than usual to fulfill his deadline orders from rich customers back then. The word is of course italian and has been adopted since then to describe the above definition.

here �s an example:

18 Dec 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Haha, sprezzatura the so called Italian nonchalance may sound interesting but you don �t know that it derives from another Italian word that is spazzatura which means rubbish, that �s why its full definition (that is of SPREZZATURA) is:

SPREAD RUBBISH ;- )))

18 Dec 2012     

Pelletrine
France

;o)))
This is exactly why it is so good we can put together all our different sources of information, here on the forum !

- Because, I just looked up sprezzatura in my beloved old Spider-Webster  dico: HA ! ... I was rather surprised to find a definition, quite far from our findings uptil now!

It �s a neologism derived from �spread � - �stressed/stressing � - �ante/advent �(before) - �ture �(going/touring) :it �s a terrifying phenomen some very mean people put into action to prevent free people from living out the adventure they had set out their minds to realize!

They (these bad intentioned people) prevent adventurers from freely realizing their dreams by spreading out horrible stess beholding and bewildering the will of the to-become adventurer: too stressed to see his/her own capacities: he/she will abandon his/her project.

- I think it is, as teachers, our most important duty to combat sprezzatura whenever we come across it/meet it !

18 Dec 2012