Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Order of Adjectives    

Order of Adjectives

barbarachiote
Brazil

Order of Adjectives

Hi, There!

Please, help me:

Is there a different order of adjectives (depending on nationality, grammar books, text books, etc????). I only knew  opinion, then factual, that is: size,age, shape,color,origin and material. But i�ve found some web sites with different orders. What order should I respect???

thanks so much for your help and attention.
Barbara 

19 Dec 2012      

pilarmham
Spain

I had a similar question a few days ago. Here are are the wonderful suggestions:

19 Dec 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

It depends on the grammar book you try to find this information in. After looking at a few, I reached the conclusion that native people don �t worry too much about this issue because it comes naturally to them in most cases and if you ask them why they use certain order they can �t answer you.
As I had to teach my students this part of grammar and in the book I was using at the moment the order was the following; opinion, size, shape, age, colour, origen and finally material, I decided to invent a word all my students learnt: osishacom, as if it was a Japanese word. It worked very well but I am not so sure now whether the order is correct or not.
I hope it can help you some way
Yolanda

19 Dec 2012     

barbarachiote
Brazil

I�m thankful for that and I loved the link http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1155/what-is-the-rule-for-adjective-order
;D

20 Dec 2012