Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How would you report this statement, please ?    

How would you report this statement, please ?

badr.a7
Morocco

How would you report this statement, please ?

"I was waiting for the bus when he arrived" 

A- he said he had been waiting for the bus when he had arrived

B- 
She said that she had been waiting for the bus when he arrived.

mind you, it �s the verb "arrived" which makes me confused. 

23 Dec 2012      

minimal70
Morocco

Both are correct. You also can leave was waiting as it is: I was waiting for the bus when it arrived. I had been waiting for the bus when it arrived.      But in this example I �d rather say I was awaiting the bus when it arrived.  Hope it �s useful 

23 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

@minimal70,
In the US, at least, "awaiting" is considered to be a very formal word, so we say "waiting for".

"He said he was waiting for the bus when it (I don �t think you mean "he" here) arrived" would be OK in informal speech, but not in writing.

"He said that he had been waiting for the bus when it arrived" would be the most common.

"He said that he had been waiting for the bus when it had arrived" is correct, but not commonly used.

Bruce

23 Dec 2012     

florimago
Spain

Hi : I agree with Bruce and I �d add something : As far as I know , the past perfect  is used to indicate that an action happens previously to some other in the past  so "arrived" should be in past because it happens after a long wait. Hope it�s useful

Flori

23 Dec 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

This is the correct one in my opinion: She said that she had been waiting for the bus when he arrived.
Bruce: I think it is not the bus that was arriving but a second person.
My understanding is that in most cases after certain time words such as when the simple present or simple past should be used.
However I can think of examples such as: When he had been there for an hour he discovered that the bus had already left!

Past perfect is used less than 5% of the time. Its main purpose is to establish time order:
He got a drink-driving fine because he had been drinking beer. If the drinking had not occurred before the driving there would have been no ticket so sequence is crucial here.
Of course it also is important in reported speech but that is information for another day!

23 Dec 2012