Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Conversation class for advanced students: techniques used to improve the students ´ speaking skills    

Conversation class for advanced students: techniques used to improve the students ´ speaking skills

natalie-riccio
Russian Federation

Conversation class for advanced students: techniques used to improve the students ´ speaking skills

Hi, I have several adult students who can be referred to as advanced. They can easily understand any authentic written text or native speaker ´s speech, but they have some trouble speaking English. I mean, their passive vocabulary is pretty good but how can you make it "active"? 

23 Dec 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

Find a topic that they want to talk about. It might be current events (such as the recent school attacks both in the USA and China), movies (especially English language movies), music, etc. That would make for natural conversation. Make sure it ´s all in English, not Russian or other languages.

You might assign them topics to speak to the class about and allow the other students to ask questions in English. This would be especially useful if they are university students or in business. It ´s also a way to force spoken English. You could either give them time to prepare (but encourage them to speak from notes, not read a speech) or make them give an impromptu speech.

Several teachers on the site look for students from other countries to Skype with. Maybe you could ask or respond to another teacher. If you do this, make sure your students prepare themselves with something to talk about ahead of time.

I hope these ideas are a good starting point.

23 Dec 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

Often students at this level are afraid of making mistakes. If they can ´t speak as well as they write, they just won ´t speak.
Smile  I often get them in pairs explaining grammar points to each other. Also I sit down and act as a student and let them act as ´teacher ´ marking the current work, especially with Interactive whiteboard materials.
Smile  Point out when you make a mistake so that they realize that this is normal for everyone or reward them if they find your mistakes.
Smile  Put them in pairs. While one is blindfolded we watch a short video. This must be explained to the one who didn ´t see it. Then we change places.
Smile  Have a page of crazy shapes where they put down vocabulary. In pairs they ask: "Why did you put the word ( eg divorce) on the triangle? ´ " Because it reminds me that there can be three people involved in a marriage breakup.
Create lots of fun activities.
It ´s all about relaxing and letting go. (My students tell me their English is better when they ´ve had a couple of drinks!!!!!!)
Cheers Joy 

24 Dec 2012     

ninon100
Russian Federation

As a practising coach, I find it hard to believe that anything can motivate stronger than GAMES!
Try these:
MAFIA (I hope everyone knows the rules, but you can easily find them online if not)
MONOPOLY (for groups of 5-8 students)
IMAGINARIUM (a personal favourite of mine)
SPEECH (check it out here http://www.igroved.ru/games/cocktailgames-series/speech/)
ALIAS (so many variants to find!)
TABOO (here we go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_(game))
and the list can be continued by our colleagues.
In my experience, adults enjoy games more than kids, because they don ´t get much chance to play. You have the power to give them that enjoyment!

24 Dec 2012     

marie.marron
Spain

I agree with ninon100, I also play games, Taboo being the most effective one. My students also enjoy role playings that you have to decide who to eleminate (like this http://www.eslprintables.com/speaking_worksheets/role_plays/Shipwrecked_A_role_play_game_362523/#thetop) or debates, also role played (for example, they want to opet a shopping center in a small town, and you asign someone to be against, others to be for it and they have to decide). In my experience, anything they have to act makes them speak more than real life topics and they have more fun.
Marie

24 Dec 2012     

natalie-riccio
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot for your suggestions) I found all of them very useful))))

24 Dec 2012     

smail igdi
Algeria

i think speaking skills can be improved through many activities that maximize the student talking time like: discussion( topic that is familliar to the Ss), group work ( workshop/ problem solving...) role play and simulations.....

25 Dec 2012