Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day     

Word of the Day

melinaki
Greece

Word of the Day

Dear teachers around the world,
the word for you to explain or use in a sentence in order to show its meaning is the word "ENTELECHY". I think it �s the first word in 2013. So take your chances and enjoy participating in the forum.
Best wishes
Melinaki

5 Jan 2013      

MarionG
Netherlands

"People applying for the position at facebook �s board of editors need have advanced Entelechy."

Entelechy= English
Entelechy= telecommunications
Entelechy stands for the ability to read and write the latest form of the English language as used  in countless text messages and in social media. Sentences like:
"thnq 4 ur msg" and "y r u l8?" provide no obstacle for people with Entelechy.
Sadly, many people with Entelechy confuse the word itself with Intelligence, mainly because many of them are notoriously bad spellers.

5 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Entelechy is a malady and it is pronounced entelitchy, the stress is on �tel �.  It affects those who watch the telly too much and develop an itch on their bottom. They sit there, eyes glued to the box, absentmindedly scratching their itchy bum. 

5 Jan 2013     

Mariethe House
France

oh, Lynne!!LOL

5 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

My Dear Melinaki,

Although my name is Les, I am sorry to be Frank, but your choice for the Competition is --- how can I put it kindly? --- utterly Useless!

In a word: it is Rubbish, Trash, Drivel, Balderdash, Gibberish, and even borders on Gobbledygook.  (Gobbledygook is quite close to Aix-la-Chappelle, near Mount Fujiyama).

The meaning is Meaningless! 

The word is Fatuous!  (Indeed, if it was any Fatter it would distort the Forum.)

The choice is Incomprehensible, Intocomprehensible, and Insidecomprehensible --- and you can �t get much more InComprehensible than THAT.

Melinaki, for centuries I have admired you from afar, (because England is a long way from Greece, even with a telescope).

However, this contribution of yours, astonishly clever though it is, is probably the stupidest, if not the most idioticist, suggestion that I have ever seen in my entire life of 129 years, (and I say that with the greatest of respect for your enormous academic ability).

As you and I both know, the word "ENTELECHY" was coin-ed, (or Drachma-ed), by Socrates.

�ENT� = �Ear, Nose & Throat� (English); �EL� =  �the� (Spanish); �EC� = �Emergency Contraception� (Country unspecified); �HY� = �Hi� (Russian).

You will realise that, for various cultural reasons, I do not wish to analyse this invented word, because I don�t like talking about THAT sort of thing in mixed company!

Nevertheless, I will shatter the misconception that Aristotle is better known for his magnificent mind, than for his beautiful body!

Much is made of his intellectual ability, his speeches, his enormous memory.  But his physical prowess was considerably more astounding.  Why?

Because he could WALK, many, many many years before he could use his brain and TALK.  In other words, he could Toddle before he could use his Noddle.

Although now, everyone refers to him as "Aristotle", in reality, he was originally named "Harold" ("Harry").

Consequently, when he was aged 3 weeks, his Cockney Nurse, (who never pronounced �H�), wanted everyone to see his first, few, faltering steps.  She wept, in absolute amazement.

In a loud voice she proudly declared:

"Arry �s Toddle!"

THAT is a TRUE record of how the great philosopher, Aristotle, was given the name by which History now knows him!

All the VERY BEST, Melinaki, to YOU, and to the Greek people.

(The next time you see me in Greece, in a Taxi, please, shout: "Endaksi?"

Thank you for joining in the "Word of the Day" fun!

Les Douglas

5 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

and from this explanation you can see where the expression "les is more" came from.

5 Jan 2013     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

@ edrodmedina: LOL

5 Jan 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

LOL edro !!! 

6 Jan 2013