Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > ... and here we go again!    

... and here we go again!

wysiwyg
France

... and here we go again!

Hello !

Well once again I downloaded a so-called "listening comprehension activity" with no audio provided.
I know the topic has already been discussed here, but I �d like to say that it is really disappointing to find out that you won �t be able to use a worksheet.

I left a comment asking for the audio file - or a downloading link, and got no reply.
Two other teachers wrote the same type of comment, with the same absence of result.

I then decided to write a private message to the person who had uploaded the ws...but I didn �t get any reply either.

Wouldn �t it be a smart idea to specify in the rules of the site that listening comprehension activities MUST include a link to the audio file, or the obligation to send it via email if requested? Most of us do, it �s not so difficult after all...and I think it is essential!

14 Jan 2013      

Sonn
Russian Federation

I �m afraid it �s not possible to give links to every listening activity because such activities can be done on the bases of the copyrighted audiofiles. But if the file is free or public domain there should be a link, I think.

14 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

But wysiwyg �s point is that the ws is useless witout the listening activity, since it �s a listening comprehension worksheet.

14 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

I totally agree with wysiwyg and Bruce �s comments. 
What is the point in uploading a listening comprehension worksheet without a link to the sound track?  Whether the audio files are copyright or not doesn �t matter, if the files are on Internet then they are to be used, surely !!

14 Jan 2013     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I think users must give at least the name of the file and of the coursebook (it the file is copyrighted), or a link to a file if it is not copyrighted and available on the Internet. If it is a song, the title and the name of the performer will be enough.

UPD. If the copyright files are legally located on the Internet, it�s OK to give links to them. If they are not, then as far as I can see ESLP may have problems because of it. Maybe I am wrong.

14 Jan 2013     

pilarnavarro
Spain

Dear mates, I absolutely agree with all the suggestions you have stated above.  
I �ve encountered this same problem myself recently . It was a Christmas worksheet and sadly, I didn �t get any reply to my request for the  audiofile. 
A listening worksheet that doesn �t provide the file is useless and shouldn �t be allowed here..

14 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

If it is a worksheet/presentation that requires an outside link (for example, Queen �s "We Are the Champions"), then absolutely a link should be presented or at the very least information on purchase should be available. If the exercise has a text reading included for a listening to speech activity, the author may believe that providing the reading for the teacher to speak in class is enough.

Unfortunately, with the space restrictions we have, it can be difficult to embed speech in a presentation. I had to split my presentation of "Berta and Her Pet Bat" into two parts because the audio portion was too large in a single upload. But I felt that native pronunciation was very important to that presentation, so I split it.

14 Jan 2013