Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY, Monday, 14.01.2013    

WORD OF THE DAY, Monday, 14.01.2013

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WORD OF THE DAY, Monday, 14.01.2013

Hello, Everybody!
The Word of the Day is:
AGRARIAN

Is it an Individual? An Animal? An Element? An Object? An Idea? An Ultrasound? An M.P? An Honest Person? An Ytterbium atom? An Yves Saint Laurent film? An 8?

Or is it possibly A University? A One-Pound Coin? A Ouija Board? A Euro? A European? A Euphemism? A Acomb (Pronounced "Yakkum") resident? A Yorkshireman? A UFO? A Handout? A Yak? A 7?

What do you think?

Let �s have your definitions --- ANY DEFINITION, provided that it is NOT the correct one, for the Word of the Day

AGRARIAN

Les Douglas

14 Jan 2013      

sarguero
Spain

Agrarian: It �s a caucasian farmer with the zodiac sign of Aries

14 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Sarguero you are very,very close. The agrarians are indeed farmers but farmers with an agenda. They shaved their heads , got lots of weird tatoos  and formed a secret society promoting the cultivation of white vegetables only. They call themselves the "Agrarian Brotherhood". Ed

14 Jan 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

a - indefinite article
grar - to howl or roar with bestial vigor ("Grar!! I �m hungry!!!)
ian - belonging to the above...

She detested her husband for being such an agrarian. She found it unacceptable that in this modern day and age he would still give her the "wife, where is my food" routine everytime he came home from work. 

14 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m afraid this is an easy one for me. An Agrarian is an alien from the planet Agra (no, it �s not a curry house in Bradford! Edit: OK, yes, it is). Just the same as an Andorian is from the planet Andora. Simple! 

14 Jan 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Actually, only very few agrarians became farmers ( you�ll see: they were the losers of the Tribe).

We will have to go way back to ancient Transylvania to find out more about them. They were a fierce, greedy tribe of very well organized nomad warriors. They loved gold and would fight anything for a good pay!!! We find them mentioned in written words from the mid 5th century AD. (ref.Attila in: History of Transylvania, Volume I. L�szl� Macsy, Andr�s M�kkai. Columbia University Press. 2001).

This Eurasian tribe used to belong to the Avar tribe (Avarians)�already quite greedy, but they became so much more wealth-aware .... , than the rest of the Avarians, that they broke away from this tribe� and became known and feared as �The greedy Avarians� �. Very soon shortened into the �Agrarians�.

The very last recorded descendant of the agrarians is �Scroodge�  described by Charles Dickens in �A Christmas Carol� �. As you all know. But, what you may not know is the origin of the French word �avare� meaning greedy: it�s an understatement: people thought it too scary even to pronounce the word �Agrarians�� so the greedy ones were bestoved the name derived from �Avarians�, namely avare.

14 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Gosh, Pelletrine.

That was SCAREY !!!

And I REALLY mean S-C-A-R-E-Y !!! !!! !!!

Les

14 Jan 2013     

Pelletrine
France

^.^  Maybe ;o)) But thanks a billion you just taught me a new word:
"scarey" wow! The movie can just lay down still ... and only be "scary" ;o))

I would prefer this daffination from the dico one: "scarey" = a stray cat so known (recognized?) as scary that  all other stray cats find him scarey.

btw: how do you pronounce it ? - differently from "scary" ?

14 Jan 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Hehe: be aware.... not "avare" ;o))

14 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Pelletrine,

Where I live, it is such a tough district that even the Tom cats, (the male cats), go around in twos.

My area is S-O scarey, (or scary), pronounced �scare - ee�, to rhyme with �fairy� = �fair - ee�. 

Les Douglas

P.S. The English word: "Avarice" = "Greed"

14 Jan 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Thank you Les,

^.^    ^.^    : two Tom cats ready for stroll in your tough district ;o)   Huh, must be pretty bad ;o)

15 Jan 2013