Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > LANGUAGE LABORATORIES!!!    

LANGUAGE LABORATORIES!!!

marlene010284
Mexico

LANGUAGE LABORATORIES!!!

Hello dear colleages:

Two years ago my school provided us with 2 amazing laguage laboratories. But, believe it or not, almost anyone has used them since then. There you can make chat conversations, make groups where they can interact using microphones and earphones. It �s possible to make exams which are automatically scored, project movies, have a access to internet, etc. 

What most of the teacher say is that it �s complicated to use them and that they had fogotten almost everything they learnt in the course we were given. 

The question is: What can I do to motivate teachers? My new job consists on have the laboratories in use most of the time.

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE FOR YOU PRECIOUS SUGGESTIONS!!!

14 Jan 2013      

elowe
United Kingdom

Hiya,

You could get the other teachers to arrange to observe you with a class using the laboratories, when they see how motivated the students are and how amazing you can make your lessons they may be encouraged to do it themselves. I would hold a staff meeting in the laboratories and treat the staff as students to show them a model lesson, then let them have a go themselves. It might just refresh their memories back to the training that you received. I think the movie option sounds like a great place to start.
Good luck with it all, hope my ideas help a little,

Em x

15 Jan 2013     

mvblair
United States

Marlene, maybe the teachers don �t know how to use the lab. For example, maybe they don �t know that they can use the lab as a way to grade students.

If you have professional development, I find that many teachers like "make and take" projects. They want to make something during PD that they can then use in their classroom, such as a worksheet or a rubric. Maybe if you helped them create some rubrics that they could use in the language lab, they would be more apt to use it. --Matt

16 Jan 2013