Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Policeman caught me doing ninety     

Policeman caught me doing ninety

tachitorres
Albania

Policeman caught me doing ninety

When singing a song with some of my students I came across this sentences "Policeman caught me doing ninety" and I don �t know what it really means. Can anyone out there help me? Thanks a lot for your help and have a great day.

17 Jan 2013      

douglas
United States

It means I was driving 90 miles per hour and a policeman stopped me for exceeding the speed limit.   90mph--is WAY over the speed limit in the USA and you can lose your license for driving that fast.

17 Jan 2013     

tachitorres
Albania

Thanks a lot.

17 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

Douglas, you answered that like a man with experience!

BruceWink

17 Jan 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Or it could be 90kmh which is nowhere near as fast as 90mph but still is probably over the speed limit in most residential areas

17 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

>Bruce-Luckily I �ve never been caught at those speeds in the USA.  I �ve caught myself there, but luckily noticed on time (it happens when you �ve been driving the Autobahns for so many years and suddenly are crossing the desert somewhere in the good ole USA).

17 Jan 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I bet it was kilometers!

They use both in the UK
(miles and kilometers)

17 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I got caught (get this!) three consecutive mornings by the same new camera, doing 34 on a dual carriageway, with no one else around at 6.30 a.m. I was fined �60 a go and had 9 points on my licence. It is a disgrace in this country, just a way of raising extra tax. In terms of traffic controls and such like, we go by miles. 

17 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

Being as how Bowling For Soup originated in Wichita Falls, Texas (my dad used to live there), I �m pretty sure they are referring to miles per hour in their song "No Hablo Ingles".

18 Jan 2013     

Jayho
Australia

... but, if they originally hail from just over the border, it could be kph ... No Hablo Ingles

18 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

..but being typical "white boy" Americans, they very possibly don �t even know if a kilometer is more or less than a mile Ouch.

<<Note: I am a "white boy" American--there is no racism intended here.>>

18 Jan 2013