Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WORD OF THE DAY    

WORD OF THE DAY

lurdesilva
Portugal

WORD OF THE DAY

Hello everybody!

The new word of the day is HETEROTRICHOSIS.

What is it? All definitions are welcome except the correct one.
Hope you come up with interesting and funny definitions!

Have a nice weekend! Wink

19 Jan 2013      

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

Three hetero counsins.

19 Jan 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

A hetero diseased with cheating , (s)he �s a hetro tricher (French= tricheur) 

19 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Words like this should not be on this site. But since it is I �ll give you the definition. It �s a condition (chosis) wherby a guy (hetero as in heterosexual... I know it can refer to female but it won �t work otherwise ) has 3 (tri) testicles. Hey don �t blame me I �m just interpreting the stuff. Ed

19 Jan 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Well, actual this is a condition that developed in a tribe in the desert whereby only the men of this tribe have body hairs while the women don �t.  Scientists aren �t exactly sure why this happens, but they think it �s due to the water they drink from the oasis

hetero - as in heterosexual, meaning only applicable to 1 sex and in this specific case the men of this tribe.
trichosis - coming from the Greek word tricha meaning hair and osis - coming from the word oasis, but since their language doesn �t have the vowel "a" it �s pronounced osis
so HETEROTRICHOSIS is hairy men of the oasis

19 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�HETEROTRICHOSIS� is the stage name for a special Magic Illusion, performed in Germany.  (Another famous stage name is �Wells Fargo�, but that�s American).

As a Professional Magician, I have sworn a solemn oath that I will never reveal the secret method of performing any trick to a non-magician.  I never have and I never will.

I did once break my word when I stood on my Scrabble letters, and I�ll admit that I have whispered to my Computer a magic formula, but the calculator was switched off, so it didn�t count.

However, I was in trouble with the Magic Committee when I combined the �Self-Inflating Balloon Trick� with the �Appearing-Bra Trick� and accidentally made a big boob.

So, please, don�t go repeating what I tell you tonight, because it�s confidential.

�Hetero� = �heterosexual�, shortened = male and female, (but now shortened to a very small size).

�Trich� = �trick� (but spoken with a very strong German accent).

�O sis� = �Oh! Sister!� (an American expression very similar to �Oh!  Brother!� but completely different).

�Hetero�  �Trich�  �Oh!  Sis�.

This particular Magic Illusion is performed only in Hamburg, Germany.  A short, beautiful Female Assistant, with red hair and a distinctive striped costume steps into a trunk, which is then locked.  There is a flash of smoke!  Instantly, a tall, thin, ugly Male Assistant, covered in Tomato Sauce, jumps out of the locked trunk.  Fantastic!

What has happened?

A beautiful, shapely girl has been transformed into a long, thin Hamburger.

Les Douglas

19 Jan 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Hetero = heterosexual + tree = tri + coccyx = tailbone

It �s a triangular bone located at the bottom of the vertebral column very useful for our ancestors when they had sexual intercourse in a tree.

20 Jan 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

slippery stuff !!! Smile

20 Jan 2013