Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD of the DAY, Monday, 21/01/2013, Revisited    

WORD of the DAY, Monday, 21/01/2013, Revisited

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WORD of the DAY, Monday, 21/01/2013, Revisited

The WORD OF THE DAY is "POLYPTOTON".

During the Competition, I have no doubt that someone will undoubtedly give us the �Correct � answer. There �s no doubt about that, even though some Members will, no doubt, remark: "I have my doubts about that!" Well, doubtless you will not doubt my undoubted frankness, (but there �s even a bit of doubt about that).

I don�t want to cast doubts on some of the Members, but without a shadow of a doubt, some doubt their own doubts; there�s little doubt of that. It�s OK to have your doubts about something, but that leaves little doubt of your certainty about the uncertainty of doubt. But I doubt it!

I don�t doubt for a second that many Members, no doubt, doubt Les Douglas when he raises doubts by saying, �I have NEVER heard an Englishman say: �I have a doubt�. But it�s true, although I doubt if you believe me.

In all of my years, I have NEVER heard an ENGLISH PERSON say: �I HAVE A DOUBT�.

The WORD OF THE DAY is "POLYPTOTON".

22 Jan 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

I think you just did. Ed

22 Jan 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

Polyptoton is a very disrespective word for a German policeman.
Cops used to be called "Polypen" in German some eighty years or so ago, and the syllable "toton" makes the whole word even more derogatory.
Toton was added to the first two syllables after a story about a stammering policeman in Berlin was published in a newspaper around 1931, toton being an onomatopetic word.
Well, with the introduction of "onomatopoetic" I think I have almost qualified for the new WOD, don �t you think??
Dorothea

22 Jan 2013     

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

I doubt I will ever make the same mistake again.Smile
I really admire your effort to correct many of  us in what concernes the word "doubt". Approve
Please correct me if there are mistakes in any of sentences I �ve just written.
I admire your work!
Keep on helping us
Have a good night!

22 Jan 2013