Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your answers to my questions    

I need your answers to my questions

florimago
Spain

yes, you�re right, almaz  Big smile  Tongue 

27 Jan 2013     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

I wanted to know if "increasing" is acting as a verb or a noun and i got the answer now, since both of you (Bruce & Flori) agree that it is a verb.As far as you (almaz) are concerned , I need your  confirmation please . I would like also to say to you almaz that it sounds somehow strange that an-ing form of the verb can act as a preposition. We know that it can be one of these three: a noun, a verb, or an adjective, but a preposition I �m not sure. Maybe it is an exception with the verb follow, since"following"  in your sentence can be replaced by the preposition "after"  . Therefore, it doesn �t apply to other verbs. Don �t you think so? 

27 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Confirmation, oumsasabil? I suppose you mean that you want me to agree that it �s a verb. Well, yes, it �s the complement of the head verb �keep � and refers to the rate of consumption of organic food. I also gave a link to a language blog where the gerund business was discussed - if that �s what you mean - along with a link to the descriptive reference grammar where the term gerund-participle is preferred. In fact, one of the co-authors has some entertaining things to say about the term here  (note that the first �helpful fact � on Professor Pullum �s list starts with �English has no gerund form per se �).

I assume you agree that �following our discussion,... � is a prepositional phrase; you can also see the -ing form taking on a prepositional function in the phrase �owing to the weather, ... �. This usage is based on historical factors, of course, but I was simply pointing out that the issue of -ing forms is not quite as cut-and-dried as is sometimes made out.

27 Jan 2013     

< Previous   1    2