Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > them or her -him?    

them or her -him?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

them or her -him?

Hi,
I read this sentence in a student �s book :
What do you think a person�s clothes can tell us about them ?

Whey is them used in this question instead of  him- her ?

Or it is a mistake ??

Regards
:)

27 Jan 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s not technically correct, but it is used more and more. I think we have to accept it!

27 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

(Mumble, mumble) years ago when I was in school learning English grammar, I was taught to use "he" or "him" as a pronoun if I didn �t know the gender of the singular person. Many women, especially feminists, didn �t like that and said you should use "he or she" or "him or her" instead. Most people thought that was awkward and convoluted, so few people used both pronouns. Instead, people (not grammarians) started to use "they" and "them" as singular indeterminate gender pronouns. The usage is very widespread, but grammarians have not adopted the practice yet, on either side of the Atlantic as far as I know. But it is only a matter of time. In ten or twenty years, "they" and "them" will probably be standard in this usage.

By the way, for one person, the possessive is "person �s," not "persons �." "Persons �" is the plural possessive.

27 Jan 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

thanks a lot for your explanation.

p.s.  I edited the possessive .

27 Jan 2013     

mariec
Spain

It should be" a person�s clothes" (singular ) then I�d use him /her

27 Jan 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

true story: When my husband wrote his Master �s thesis (on music therapy - NOT English) in the US in the mid 80 �s, he consistently used �hir � whenever his/him/her would have been appropriate..
Needless to say, it didn �t catch on...

27 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

About the only feminist neologism to English that has caught on as far as I know is "Ms." for a woman whose marital status is indeterminate or unimportant. It is close to the other forms (Miss and Mrs.) but not exactly the same, and it serves a real purpose. Other neologisms such as your husband �s "hir" just didn �t catch on.
Obviously I don �t include adaptations such as salesperson or mail carrier in this sweeping statement. Perhaps I should, but they aren �t completely new as far as I �m concerned.

27 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

An interesting bit about "Ms" is that it was originally written without a period, because it isn �t an abbreviation of anything. Now it is standardly written as "Ms."

Bruce

27 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

I know when writing for the military I used to use "them" in order to keep the document gender neutral.  Languages change, and I think this is a good chnage.

28 Jan 2013