Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Thank you for supporting me.    

Thank you for supporting me.

falafel
Tunisia

Thank you for supporting me.

Hi dear friends. I just want to thank all the people who supported me (Mabdel/Coyote.Chus/tech teacher /Zailda/ foose1/Faiza Amani/Orly100/ and teresapr). Thank you so much for being supportive , friendly and FAIR . I am so grateful.I want just to explain that my two worksheets which were reported today were sent before the new rules made by Victor were in. Then I am a faithful member and I visit this site daily and I am proud to be part of it. I am not the only member to have old worksheets with watermarket clipart and there is no rule that asks us to replace all the cliparts that we have used in our worksheets or powerpoints. Thanks again for your support .

27 Jan 2013      

Mabdel
Morocco

You �re welcome dear friend! Don �t worry am sure that your reported worksheets won �t be removed since they were uploaded beofre  the new rules.
Best regards

27 Jan 2013     

juliag
Japan

This has happened before as dear Falafel points out.

I �m so glad the problem was sorted out quickly this time, but I think the information about the old rules and the date when they changed should be visible on the moderator �s page, or in the rules section of the site, so that it �s much easier for moderators to make the correct decision when they vote. I think there must be lots of moderators who are not even aware that the rules have changed, or people like me who know they did but can �t remember exactly when, and having the information available would make the voting process much easier and would avoid worksheets being removed when they don �t need to be and all the natural feelings of hurt and disappointment that go with that and have even led people to leave the site.

If we added a section to the site on �When to report � or something like that, and the old rules and the date of change were included in that, it might even stop some of these worksheets being reported in the first place. I know these changes would mean more work for Victor, but I think it �s important that we make it clearer so there are less of these instances, and therefore less cases of feelings being hurt, in the future.

Edit: just realized after visiting the moderator�s page that Victor has already tried to protect the old worksheets by not offering as many options for reporting. This makes it clear to anyone who knows the rules changed that these were made before the new rules, but as people are still reporting them for other things (even though there is officially no option) it may be useful to add a line under the copyright restrictions part, saying something like �This worksheet was contributed before the new rules and is  not subject to them.�

Don�t know if it would work, but just a suggestion.

27 Jan 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

You guys got me confused.  When did the rules change?  The date on the rules-page is 18th February 2010.  I assumed these are the rules as they stand?  If not, how do we find out?  I must admit I don �t read the rules completely when uploading stuff.  Maybe I should? Cheers.

27 Jan 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi falafel

With as many points as you have you have been a generous contributor to this site and many have benefited from your great work. 

Rules are rules but your ws was reported twice, at different times, for using watermarked clipart.  Using watermarked clipart is no longer allowed here and is considered stealing in many countries.  Not only that, it looks unprofessional.  I highly recommend that you substitute the watermarked images before someone reports it again and you have to go through this daunting reporting process yet again.  Afterall, you no doubt expect your students to resubmit plagiarised work so wouldn �t it be a good idea for you to do this too?  Anyway, this is just my opinion and I seem to recall that this suggestion was already made to you on the reporting page.  The decision is in your hands.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Jan 2013     

juliag
Japan

Sorry to confuse you Peter. The date on the rules page is the date of the current (new) rules. Before that people were allowed to use images with watermarks, and possibly, though I can �t quite remember, texts from esl books as long as they included their own activities. (See the problem - even though I joined the site a little before that, as my memory has faded I can no longer remember what was and was not allowed in the old rules). As neither of these things are allowed now, often worksheets from before the rules are mistakenly reported even though there are actually only options to report them if they are copies or repeated. This has in the past led to lots of hurt feelings and so on and I just think it would be easier for everyone if it was made clearer.

As to reading the rules, I do think it �s a good idea and that we all should at least once, and the moderators often need to go back and check against them. However, basically if you don �t copy from anywhere, don �t use any texts or pictures from other esl resources (unless they �re out of print when it seems to be okay to use the pictures from what I �ve seen), don �t use watermarked pictures, don �t use someone else �s layout unless it �s a template and don �t upload the same work twice you should be fine!

27 Jan 2013