Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is this text correct ? Thank you for your help !    

Is this text correct ? Thank you for your help !

swissprof
Switzerland

Is this text correct ? Thank you for your help !

Rapunzel

Once upon a time a couple lived in a house next door to a witch. The wife longed to eat the lettuces in the witch �s beautiful garden.

The wife wanted the lettuces so much that her husband decided to steal them but he was caught by the witch. "Have the lettuces but as soon as  you have a baby and you must give me your child when she is born."

The man was so scared that he agreed to everything she asked. When the little girl was born, the witch took her away and named her Rapunzel.

When Rapunzel grew up, the witch locked her away in a tower in the middle of a forest with one window right at the top. Whilst Rapunzel lived in the tower her golden hair grew longer and longer.

When the witch visited her she would call "Rapunzel! Rapunzel! Let down your long hair". Rapunzel let down her hair and the witch climbed up.

One day a handsome Prince rode through the wood and found the tower. He heard singing and saw Rapunzel at the window. He watched the witch come to the tower and climb Rapunzel �s hair and decided to do the same.

The prince visited Rapunzel every day but when the witch found out she tricked the prince and threw him out of the tower. He fell on some thorns and scratched his eyes.

The prince was blind for a long time until one day he heard Rapunzel. When she saw it was her prince, she cried with happiness. Her tears touched his eyes and he could see again! They lived happily ever after in his kingdom.

27 Jan 2013      

swissprof
Switzerland

Rapunzel

Once upon a time a couple lived in a house next door to a witch. The wife longed to eat the lettuces in the witch �s beautiful garden.

The wife wanted the lettuces so much that her husband decided to steal them but he was caught by the witch. "Have the lettuces but as soon as  you have a baby and you must give me your child when she is born."

The man was so scared that he agreed to everything she asked. When the little girl was born, the witch took her away and named her Rapunzel.

When Rapunzel grew up, the witch locked her away in a tower in the middle of a forest with one window right at the top. Whilst Rapunzel lived in the tower her golden hair grew longer and longer.

When the witch visited her she would call "Rapunzel! Rapunzel! Let down your long hair". Rapunzel let down her hair and the witch climbed up.

One day a handsome Prince rode through the wood and found the tower. He heard singing and saw Rapunzel at the window. He watched the witch come to the tower and climb Rapunzel �s hair and decided to do the same.

The prince visited Rapunzel every day but when the witch found out she tricked the prince and threw him out of the tower. He fell on some thorns and scratched his eyes.

The prince was blind for a long time until one day he heard Rapunzel. When she saw it was her prince, she cried with happiness. Her tears touched his eyes and he could see again! They lived happily ever after in his kingdom.

27 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

The most important change I would make for modern English is that I would change "lettuces" to "heads of lettuce." Today, we use lettuce almost exclusively as a non-count noun. However, when this story was translated into English, it may have been acceptable to use "lettuces."
As an American, I would also change ""whilst" to "while." "Whilst" sounds obsolete to me. The rest of the story is fine as it stands. There are no real mistakes, just some older uses of words in it.

27 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Swissprof,

In my opinion, there are some commas missing, which I have inserted.  Others may disagree with me.

Rapunzel

Once upon a time, a couple lived in a house next door to a witch. The wife longed to eat the lettuces in the witch �s beautiful garden.

The wife wanted the lettuces so much that her husband decided to steal them, but he was caught by the witch. "Have the lettuces, but as soon as you have a baby, you must give me your child when it is born."

The man was so scared that he agreed to everything she asked. When a little girl was born, the witch took her away and named her Rapunzel.

When Rapunzel grew up, the witch locked her away in a tower in the middle of a forest, with one window right at the top. Whilst Rapunzel lived in the tower, her golden hair grew longer and longer.

When the witch visited her, she would call, "Rapunzel! Rapunzel! Let down your long hair". Rapunzel let down her hair and the witch climbed up.

One day, a handsome Prince rode through the forest and found the tower. He heard singing and saw Rapunzel at the window. He watched the witch come to the tower and climb Rapunzel �s hair and decided to do the same.

The prince visited Rapunzel every day, but when the witch found out, she tricked the prince and threw him out of the tower. He fell on some thorns and scratched his eyes.

The prince was blind for a long time, until one day, he heard Rapunzel. When she saw it was her prince, she cried with happiness. Her tears touched his eyes and he could see again! They lived happily ever after in his kingdom.

" ... ... you must give me your child when she is born."

Who says that the baby will be a GIRL?

" ... ... you must give me your child when it is born."

"When the little girl was born, the witch took her away and named her Rapunzel."

THE little girl.  WHICH little girl?  We don �t know yet that the baby is a girl.

"When a little girl was born, the witch took her away and named her Rapunzel."

NOW, we know that a baby girl was born!

"Have the lettuces but as soon as you have a baby and you must give me your child when she is born."

"Have the lettuces, but as soon as you have a baby, you must give me your child when she is born."  (There should be no �and � in this sentence.)

The tower is in the middle of a �forest�, yet the Prince rides through a �wood�, (which is considerably smaller than a forest). 

This is a well-written story for children.

Les Douglas

27 Jan 2013     

swissprof
Switzerland

Thank you Les Douglas Thank you  MoodyMoody

You are great to answer me on Sunday evening !
I want to use this story in a test to check the Past Simple and I liked this story
My students can learn something about Grimm �s tales in this way.

I wish you both a nice week and thank you again for your help

Nicole

27 Jan 2013