Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Present Perfect or Past Simple - Would you accept the answers in "green"?    

Present Perfect or Past Simple - Would you accept the answers in "green"?

eng789
Israel

Present Perfect or Past Simple - Would you accept the answers in "green"?

Use Past Simple or Present Perfect. 

1.      For the last 10 years I __have tried___ (try) to eat healthier but I still

___haven �t got/gotten____ (not/get) used to drinking soya milk.

2.      Tomorrow some friends are coming over. I __haven �t seen  (see/not) them for a long time and they __have never been_ (be/never) to my house before. 

3.      Sara and Dan aren�t new.  Sara __has worked____ (work) here since 2010 and Dan _has run /ran  (run) the office for six years.

4.    A: I ___called (call) you last week but you __didn �t answer_ (not/answer)

Where ______have you been / were you______ (you/be)?

B: I _have just come_  (come/just) back from Canada.

A: Oh really? What ___did you do there___ (you/do) there?

B: I ____­went____ (go) on a nature tour. We saw bears, wolves and whales in the wild. 

__Have you ever had _ (you/have/ever) a chance to tour

Canada?

A: Yes, I __have traveled___ (travel) around Canada twice so far.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
                                                                     Barbara

2 Feb 2013      

anitarobi
Croatia

3. ran - No, I wouldn �t, because of for six years.
4. were you - Yes, because it all refers to last week.

2 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

In number 3, if you use "ran," you mean that in the past, Dan ran the office for six years, but he no longer works there. Since the first part implies that Dan works at the office now, that �s a contradiction. We use the present perfect to refer to situations that began in the past but continue up to the present.

In number 4, the past "Where were you?" is correct because you called last week; you didn �t call repeatedly up to the present. If you tried to call several/many times and never received an answer until now, you would use "Where have you been? I have been trying to reach you for a week."

2 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "has run" for #3 and "Where were you?" for #4

Bruce

2 Feb 2013     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Moody Moody is right....
Has run and Where were you are the correct options.

2 Feb 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

Both green answers are correct. Besides, since the context is not crystal clear, I would accept both, otherwise you might get into a discussion that could turn ugly.

Btw, IMO exam questions should always be totally unambiguous and allow for one correct answer only. Having several possible answers where one is �more correct � than the others doesn �t help anyone.

2 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I know it �s not the query, but I don �t like �healthier � in No. 1. �healthier food � or better, �more healthily �. 

Maybe I �m just a stickler.

2 Feb 2013     

Poppingdale
Portugal

Hi, cunliffe! It doesn �t sound right to me either, and I �m not a native speaker...

I love your avatar...is it your cat? Its eyes are funny!

Bye!

2 Feb 2013     

eng789
Israel

Thanks everyone. 
I totally agree with you Philip but it is difficult to come up with exercises that only allow for one answer without writing a whole story for each question. 
That is why when in doubt I like to check here.

Hug  Barbara

2 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Eat healthier" is used a lot, at least on this side of the pond. I �d agree that "healthier food" or "a healthier diet" is better, but "more healthily" seems a bit contrived to me.

And Philip, I respectfully disagree about question 3; using the past "ran" strongly implies that he no longer does so. I will concede that perhaps Dan has a different job with the same company, but if Dan still runs the office, you need to use the present perfect, not the past.

2 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No 3. �has been working � and �has been running � are better, I would say. 

Edit: I�ve just been watching a great comedian - Sara Millican - and twice she has said that she�s going to �eat more healthily�. We all know she isn�t, but that�s the way she said it! 

Thank you Poppingdale, I love your avatar too.

2 Feb 2013     

1    2    Next >