Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the decorating or the decoration???    

the decorating or the decoration???

jedzed
Tunisia

the decorating or the decoration???

is there a difference between :
i like the decorating of the room   or i like the decoration of the room.
please help?

2 Feb 2013      

ajarnmac
Thailand

Decorating: The act the process. In the process of ?
Decoration: Completed process

2 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Neither one sounds very natural. I would say "I like the decor of the room" or "I like the way the room is decorated".

Bruce

2 Feb 2013     

vandenhk
United Arab Emirates

I have to agree with Bruce, I would be more likely to say "I like the way the room is decorated" or "I like the colour scheme/decorations".   

3 Feb 2013     

mazrahwie
Malaysia

If you like the decoration.. it means that you like the things that have been used to decorate the room.. decorating means more on ways you decorate the room.. This is my  point of view since I am not an English expert.. i am still learning.. :)

3 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with the others - the natural sentence would be �I like the way the room is decorated � or �the room is beautifully decorated. � The usual use of decorations when applied to a room, suggests the Christmas decorations! Decor is a better word.

Decorating, as ajarnmarc says is usually the action. �My mother is decorating... � Or as a participle (is that right? Any grammarians about?) �My mother has finished decorating. � 

3 Feb 2013     

afteleg
Philippines

First and foremost, both of the sentences are grammatical. 
The pattern

S+like+gerund and
S+like+noun
where gerund is basically a noun so 
both just have the same pattern. the meanings; however, are different:

I like the decoration of the room. The colors and paintings are perfect!
I like the decorating of the room. They (the workers) are organized and fast.

My professor has recently discussed about this, as well as the word formation processes wherein 
the original word decoration, over time, changes into decor, the process is called �clipping�
words like aircon from aircondition and plane from airplane have undergone the same process.

google word formation processes for more info... : )

hope this piece of info will be helpful...

3 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Decor" is not a truncated form of "decorate!" They are both words that originally come from the related Latin words decor (noun) and decorare (verb). I believe that decorate was borrowed from the French first, and then decor was borrowed from French at a later time. The shortened form of decorate is actually deco, as in Art Deco.

I agree that English shortens many, many words, although I �ve never heard "aircon" before today. In the USA, we use the initials AC instead.

Even if jedzed �s sentences are grammatically correct, the fact is that most native English speakers wouldn �t use them. Bruce �s and vandenhk �s sentences sound much more natural. Some people might say, "I like decorating the room," but that means they enjoy deciding on carpet and placing knick knacks.

3 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with Bruce however decorated often implies that the room has been prepared for a special event like a party so it would depend on context.  Decor is more general.

MM - Aircon is what we use downunder. No-one here says AC.  Maybe this is a British English term.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Feb 2013     

dillydi
United Kingdom

decorate is the root verb, decorating is the act of doing it (present), decorated means that it has been completed (past).

decoration is a noun referring to paint, wallpaper and ornaments which adds to the attraction of i.e. said room.
decor is also a noun

decorator(s) a person whose job is to paint rooms and buildings and to put up wallpaper. 

3 Feb 2013