Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > No school on Wednesdays?    

No school on Wednesdays?

anuska8
Spain

In Spain a high number of Elementary Schools have extra classes like sports, paint, play instruments... They �re almost always free and can finish at 18.00. 
Moreover, there are an option from 8.00 to 9.00 called "Madrugadores" (something like "early risers") that is also free and parents can go work earlier. 

In private Schools you can pay for more classes in different hours.

Anyway, I think parents have children to look after them, and it �s a bad idea don �t stay with them �till, for example, 20.00 (or before). But it �s only my opinion. 

Hugs!

4 Feb 2013     

anuska8
Spain

As I can see, Greece and Spain are similar in this case. It �s possible that the culture, being mediterranean, has an influence in the timetables and the way of life. 

4 Feb 2013     

irissharony
France

Thanks all!
@Perma, don �t the kids get really hungry in the middle of the day?

@Marion, not to worry about it :-) But, is there a long day all over the country? When I left they were still debating it... Did you notice it is the only place where school days end at a different hour each day?

@Bella, seems to be the best and most logical solution in England. You get to have time to pick up one kid and then the other ;-) Where and when do they eat?

@Anuska8 - yes, kids do get tired by Friday, but having only Sunday off is killing the weekend. I remember from Israel, you do not get time to rest or travel and the weekend is already over. As for having lunch later, again, do they not get very hungry until then? I remember my kids in Israel coming home absolutely starved even though they had a sandwhich at 10:00 at school.

4 Feb 2013     

anuska8
Spain

In Spain they have a break, about 30 minuts, to eat a snack or something similar (for example, from 12.00 to 12.30). 

4 Feb 2013     

irissharony
France

Anuska8 - we think alike, only I think most parents think alike. Sometime showever , life demands more and parents do not always get a chance to come home early enough (16:30) to get their kids from school or they have to leave early to arrive on time for work. France being as big as it is, I see it more than I did in Israel or course.
As for the similarities between Spain and Greece, yes I imagine you are right. Here, I find myself taking my kids to sport clubs at 17:30 or 18:30 until 19:30 or 20:00 which I do not like doing but find there is no other choice.

4 Feb 2013     

orly100
Israel

In Israel,
The school hours for the elementary  are:

Sunday-Friday (Saturday there �s no school)
From 8.00 to 14.30 every day.

Teachers work 5 days a week.

Orly

4 Feb 2013     

IbuLulu
Australia

In Australia primary school is Mon-Fri, usually 8.30-2.30.  (They have a short break during the morning and a longer one for lunch).

In Indonesia they do Mon- Fri plus a half day Saturday.  In some places there are 2 shifts, so some children come in the morning and some in the afternoon, because too many kids to fit in!

4 Feb 2013     

abba
Spain

School is Mon-Fri. In my county, primary students go to school from 9 till 16.30, with a 30-minutes-break at 11.00 and a long break in the middle (12.30.15.00) for lunch. Some parents pick them up for lunch and they go back in the afternoon and others stay for lunch at school. Secondary schools are different, we start at 8.20 and we finish at 15.00, we �ve got two breaks, a long one (30 minutes) and a short one (10 minutes).

4 Feb 2013     

< Previous   1    2