Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Classification of some worksheets    

Classification of some worksheets

danibauer
Brazil

Classification of some worksheets

Hello guys!

For the first time I�ve been asked to teach children around 5. So, I decided to check out some material that I�ve never search on this site.

But, every time that I searched on the table contents, materials for this age what I got (for my surprise) were a miscellaneous of materials containing big texts, grammar and even tutorials explaining how to reduce the size of pictures!!!!!

Why??? Because when people upload a worksheet they want to have more chances of getting downloads. It seems easier to write age from 3-100. However, it makes our searches more difficult and longer.

What I humbly suggest is: be honest and write the real information when uploading a worksheet.

Sorry about my indignation, but I had to give my opinion about it.

Best regards,

Daniela

22 Jan 2009      

kasiak
Mexico

I agree Danibauer...

22 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

I also agree, and could you please write the name / topic of you ws clearly.  Like a reading  comprehension about "Elinor R.   or  project about pollution. 

And not just write an interesting text with exercises that your pupils will like.

22 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

Great idea ladybird.  It is almost impossible to get through all the wss when you are looking for something specific.

By the way the "readings" section is full of grammar exercises. 

There is a lot of stuff stuck in the wrong place.

22 Jan 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Thanks for your answers... I can see I�m not the only one complaining about it!!!

Wink

22 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

When making materials for young learners, I always click on elementary. Then usually write from 6-11 - normal elementary school age.
Now a 5 year old in America is only in Kindergarten, so they aren�t really school age yet.
What you need are pre-school materials.

In most European countries, we don�t start with foreign language until 3rd grade to make sure the children have a deep understanding of their own language first.

L

22 Jan 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Hi Libertybelle!

I understood your point. But we have here in Brazil language schools that start teaching kids of pre-school with coloring activities, songs and games. Most part of these students don�t know how to read and write yet. But it�s believed that it works. Whatever.

But my real point was about the way people classify their worksheets putting even tutorial in the categories from 3 to 100 years old. Is it possible???

That was my point! It makes the teachers� research more difficult!

Daniela

22 Jan 2009     

raquelota28
Portugal

hi everybody!
Victor, I think that it would be useful and really helpful to add a new topic named YOUNG LEARNERS divided in several topics.

22 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Interesting. I think my typical 12 year old junior high student would be around the level of a 5 or 6 year old European student in English ability - except they don�t really get into colouring in sheets (well, most of them, anyway...)

The problem I see with age groupings (including �young learner� is that age is not always the best descriptive factor. I believe the the learner level is a far more appropriate guide.

For adult students it becomes a little more complex. I am pleased that someone (I don�t remember who) suggested adding �adult� to the search information for such sheets.

And yes, I do mind the rant! What is the best for you may not be the best for everyone!

I think people need to stop looking at age for everything & consider level of ability as well.

22 Jan 2009     

pelu
Argentina

Hi raquelota28. I agree with you and ladybird. It is difficult to find something specific if the information is not clear... and about the word "continuous" mentioned by ladybird, in my case, my computer correct the word putting continuos instead of continuous. I realize this mistake when one month ago I uploaded a wordsheet about present continuous and when I see the post the title was changed. I deleted my work and post it again with the correct title... Regards, from La Plata, Argentina.

22 Jan 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Ok. But do you all agree that a tutorial explaining how to reduce the size of pictures doesn�t fit the age of 3??????

22 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >