Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To native speakers of English    

To native speakers of English

Abdou1980
Morocco

To native speakers of English

Today afternoon, we were discussing some notions of x-bar theory. Surprisingly enough, a colleague of mine made up a sentence, "it looks similar to theirs  in shape. In this sentence we have two prepositional phrases, � to theirs � and � in shape �. He suggested that � to theirs � is a complement to the adjective �similar � and �in shape � as an adjunct. He argued that � to theirs � is a complement because we the complement should be adjacent to the head and went on to say that we mustn´t re-order the two prepositional phrases. On my part, I suggested that the two prepositional phrases should be adjuncts since we could reorder  the two phrases and the meaning would remain the same. thus, we might say:
1. it looks similar in shape to theirs.
2. it looks similar to theirs in shape.

I would like a native speaker to make it clear for me whether �it looks similar in shape to theirs � is grammatically correct and and accepted in terms of meaning and structure".

Thanks a million for your help:) 

4 Feb 2013      

yanogator
United States

Both options sound fine to my native ears. I �m not even sure which one I would be more likely to use.

Bruce

4 Feb 2013     

IbuLulu
Australia

I agree with Bruce

4 Feb 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

Both. Couldn �t tell you why, though.

5 Feb 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

You�re right, Essalhi. The meaning remains the same whether you re-order them or not and are perfectly grammatical. You can put them in either position since both phrases are adjuncts of the complement �similar� (I suppose you might also call this a predicative adjective) and are not only optional here but interchangeable. 

5 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

I agree with Spinney and Bruce.

5 Feb 2013     

Abdou1980
Morocco

Thanks a million dear Colleagues for your precious help. I do really appreciate it a great deal.

5 Feb 2013