Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > May I learn...?    

May I learn...?

ss73
Turkey

May I learn...?

Hi everyone:))
I want to ask whether it is ok if
I upload a compiled set of riddlesor not?
(as I haven �t created them on my own?)

I have about 50-60...

thanks in advance

5 Feb 2013      

Mabdel
Morocco

Hello there!
Am afraid , you can �t since you haven �t created them. Anyways thx a lot for ur generosity! 
Have a nice TuesdaySmile

5 Feb 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

HI mabdel, are you sure?
There are a lot of worksheets here with jokes and riddles. I doubt they are all original work. Also the tongue twisters are usually not made up by the uploader. I don �t know if riddles need to be self written.... I would love a set of riddles appropriate for elementary level if they come with a key. In my opinion it is great reading practice. I  wonder what others think. Fo riddles (and jokes, and tongue twisters etc. ) have to be written by the uploader?

5 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

My understanding is that you could send the compilation of riddles, but you should create some exercises to go with them - T/F, gap fill etc...

5 Feb 2013     

florimago
Spain

I agree with Cunliffe . You can use them but the activities should be yours . That�s explained in the rules . Have a look , it may help you

5 Feb 2013     

ss73
Turkey

I use them at the very beginning of the lesson...
I greet my students and write one of the riddles/questions
on the board under the title of �do it now � which they look forward
to each and every day:D

They love it... (6 to 8 grade)
and ask for one every day...

while they are doing it I take the attandance
gift the student/groups who give the right answer
and start the lesson... :))

but of course they are not mine and
the activity itself is just the question...
no further activities on them...

so I really am confused about uploading it...
I just don �t want to get a warning from the site...

5 Feb 2013     

Pelletrine
France

I think your idea is a very nice one to start off a lesson/day!

- Looking at rules: guess you could make a kind of �activity � cards paper (have a look at templates section: you could put a riddle each on a �card � ... and provide an answersheet: it would be your work, and you would break no rules (using preexisting information/... is the essential part of a WS)... especially if you cite your sources (if there are any/ or links to the riddles, if they have an author)

- Actually: it really depends on the origin of your resource.... and your own interpretation/use/transformation: NO : you cannot just come up with a list of riddles taken from somebody, without transforming it into a �worksheet � of your own .... AND citing your sources

- and ... I would really love to see and use this kind of warm-up in my classes!

- So, if you feel like it: please do share your riddles ;o)))

Good luck ... and Good night :o)

5 Feb 2013