Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day 06/02/2013    

Word of the Day 06/02/2013

perlittah
Tunisia

Word of the Day 06/02/2013

Hello everybody, Thanks dear Les for choosing me and for your funny post (I also thank your cat...!!!!)
Ladies and Gentlemen, the word fo the day is ..."TATTERDEMALION".....
Dear colleagues......I �d like it three in one : a mixture of wit, imagination and fuuuuuuuuuuun! 
Top...... Start!

6 Feb 2013      

elderberrywine
Germany

That �s an easy one, perlittah, thank you! First time in a while that I feel inspired to participate.

TATTERDEMALION is an adjective.
It is used to describe a  demon who hasn �t been taking care of himself, who has been letting himself go.
He looks tattered, shabby, shoddy, and generally unkempt.

Maye he has been drinking, had an unhappy love affair, lost his baby brother in an accident, failed his demon �s final exam or just hung out with the wrong demonic crowd for a while.

here is how the adjective might be used:

"Boo-hoo has become quite tatterdemalion lately"
"Leila, people will begin to call you tatterdemalion if you continue whirling around in this kind of look"
"Ghasty, I hope you �ll soon come out of this tatterdemalion phase and start taking care of yourself!"

6 Feb 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Tatterdemalion is the evolution of the Pokemon Lion Tapperware

6 Feb 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Tatterdemalion has it �s roots in Ancient Greek tragedy but has since become a part of the English language meaning "Defender"

Tatter- comes from the expression "tit for tat" meaning "You sling mud at me, I sling mud at you" retaliation.  Thus Tatter, is the person who retaliates.

de - meaning taking away from

mal - as in "bad" (as in malnutrition)

Ion - whose mother tried to poison him, is a tragedy written by Evripidis

So tatterdemalion in ancient Greece literally meant that the person who retaliated by trying to take away the bad being done to Ion.  
As the popularity of names changed with the passing of time and Ion was not all that common,  tatterdemalion entered mainstream language meaning anyone who would fight for children �s rights (no matter what their name!).  
This often entailed slinging mud or other objects on hand at offenders!!!

6 Feb 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"TATTERDEMALION"

This is a corruption of the Anglo-Saxon word "Taterdemalion", (�tater de mal ion� = "Bad Potato").

In the North of England, a �tater� is a �potato�.  In various other parts of the UK, potatoes are �taties�, or �tatties�, or in Scotland, �totties�.  (Hence, the Scottish expression, �Ah�ll hit ye in the eye, wi� a lump o� tottie pie�.

�Tatterdemalion� was borrowed from the French phrase, "pomme de terre de mal ion", which means �apple of the earth with negative vibrations�.  With a name like this, you can easily see why the English gave this word back to the French, at the first opportunity.

However, in the year 1067, just one year after William the Conqueror successfully invaded England, two things happened.

1:  The new French King decreed that all his English subjects should show him proper respect.  The English, being the dutiful, law-abiding citizens that they were, welcomed their new master by renaming one room in every house in honour of the new King, �William Conqueror�.  They gave this room his initials, and called it: �The WC�.

2: The organisation for slimmers, Weight-Watchers, opened an office in Pudding Chare, Ham, near Pratts Bottom, London.  (Do you get it?  Office = Chare! No? OK, please yourself!)

Weight-Watchers saw the financial benefits of a TV advertisement campaign which would earn them millions, based on the unhealthiness of eating too many potatoes.

Unfortunately, TV hadn�t been invented.  Nor had electricity.  Plus, Sir Walter Raleigh had not yet brought potatoes from America.  Plus, America had not yet been discovered.

So, Weight-Watchers had this Brilliant Idea, but it had one minor flaw.  It was Stupid!

The moral of this story is, quite simply:

THINK AHEA
D!

A proud, pretentious, patronising pair of potato parents were perusing prospective persons, preferably patricians, who preferred to pick their pretty potato progeny as a permanent partner.
The Mother said: � I want her to marry a really posh potato.  I think that she wants to marry a common musician, like that Maris Piper, but, I want her to marry the Duke of York�.
�Oh, no!  Better than that --- King Edward!� declared the Father.
Then the Girl spoke: �I love David Dimbleby�.
The Father was outraged: �You are NOT going to marry that Commentator!�

Les Douglas

7 Feb 2013