Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > If I were you...    

If I were you...

andreaewa
Uruguay

If I were you...

As I can see today you are having fun with grammar so my question is: Do you know why we should use were after the pronoun I in the if sentences?

23 Jan 2009      

xiles31
China

Hi! I found a pretty good explanation here about the use of subjunctive: http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/061.html

23 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I shall say that we should use   ��I were �� because it is  the subjunctive way of the verb TO BE when talking about hipothetical situations (unreal situations, desires)

If I were a butterfly (But Iam not a butterfly), I would fly away to where you are now.
(hipotethical condition)                                      (imaginary result)

Comparing it to Spanish ( as I see you are from Uruguay) it is the same as using the conditionals : Si yo fuera una mariposa ( condicion ireal)...

I hope I made sense my dear!!!

Miss Melissa.      Hug

23 Jan 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

"According to traditional thought, statements about the conditional future such as �If I were a carpenter . . .� require the subjunctive �were�; but �was� is certainly much more common. Still, if you want to impress those in the know with your usage, use �were� when writing of something hypothetical, unlikely, or contrary to fact. "

In other words, both are correct, but WERE sounds much more sophisticated Wink

23 Jan 2009