Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Planning an elementary conversation class with a native speaker guest    

Planning an elementary conversation class with a native speaker guest

natalie-riccio
Russian Federation

Planning an elementary conversation class with a native speaker guest

Hello everybody! I �ve decided to invite my Australian friend to my conversaton class (elementary students). We have just covered the topic "places in a city" (there is/there are, using Present Simple tense for routines). Any ideas on how to plan the lesson with a native speaker as a guest, so that it is both interesting and not overwhelming (considering my students � English level)? Thanks in advance)

10 Feb 2013      

sarguero
Spain

You can try with the native speaker holding a map and asking for a building or place in the city because he is a newcomer to your town, and ask for a direction, using the words:
 Turn left, turn right, go straight on, go to, go past the ......

Excuse me, I �m australian and it �s my first time in your city. Where �s the cinema?
 The cinema is at Red Star Street. Turn left, go past the zebra crossing, go to the school and turn right. Now you are a Red Star Street.

If you consider is difficult working with a real map, make a circuit in the playground or in the class with their desks and chairs where they can use the vocabulary. Cards with drawings of places of the city will be useful.

You can show photos or googlemap views of a comercial street or a big picture of a city you made before and then make questions about it:

Native speaker: Hello, can you help me to know your city?
Native speaker: What is the name of this street?
Native speaker: What�s this?  It�s the town hall // It�s a pet shop
Native speaker: What can I visit in your town?

And so on .... then the kids make questions about the native speaker home town.

Kids: Where are you from?
Kids: What�s the name of your city?
Kids: Is there a zoo in your city/ sport centre/ river / train station .....?

10 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

why not bring a set of hats and ask your friend to play different roles like: a police officer in the street who your students could ask for information about places in a town, or a waiter/ess in a cafe who your students could make simple orders from (e.g. "a cup of coffee and a tuna sandwich, please" "How much is it?" etc.", a person in an iformation desk at the museum/gallery to ask for info like "can we use a camera?" "what is there in your museum/gallery we can see?" or "where �s the souvernir shop?" and so on and so forth... It could be kind of a virtual tour. I think, you can get the idea and, if you like it, you can build on it.
Sophia

10 Feb 2013     

natalie-riccio
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot Sarguero and Sophia))) I find your tips very useful, I �ll definitely use them!

10 Feb 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

It �s also useful to have the native speaker talk about their country of origin - you get the cultural aspect as well that way. Afterwards there can be a little quiz for the sts!

10 Feb 2013     

abitano
Argentina

A further idea could be a simple guessing game. Your friend can provide simple -but not too obvious- answers about his/her hometown and the students have to guess what the questions are. Example: Friend: It �s opposite the main square.
Students : Where is the Town Hall?

13 Feb 2013