Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why is an orange juice countable?    

Why is an orange juice countable?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Why is an orange juice countable?

Dear members,

juice is uncountable but why is an orange juice countable?

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards
:)

16 Feb 2013      

puddyd
Oman

Hi,
It �s countable because of an = 1, so it �s either a glass or a box or a some sort of vessel of orange juice. It would be uncountable if it was just orange juice without the �an �.

16 Feb 2013     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Is it?
A glass of orange juice, a bottle of orange juice (countable)
but
 There is some orange juice in the fridge. (uncountable)

I don �t understand why should adding of the word "orange" make juice countable Wink

16 Feb 2013     

angelcris
Brazil

My dear MJ Misa,

In fact, it �s not that orange juice is countable. It �s uncountable - we say "I �ll have some orange juice". The fact is that when we talk about juice (any kind) we can say "a glass of juice", "a box of juice", "a bottle of juice" etc.

So, juice is uncountable, but you can "count" the amount you are drinking (as in any other liquid) by adding the measure (glass, bottle, liters, box etc)

See you!Wink

16 Feb 2013     

daniellemotta
Brazil

Hello guys! I believe that when we say: an orange juice, it �s implicit "A glass of". Just like when we ask for "two coffees".... it �s implicit "two cups of"

16 Feb 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Drinks (coffee, water, orange juice) are usually uncountable. But if we are thinking of a cup or a glass, we can say (in a restaurant, for example):
  • Two teas and one coffee please.

16 Feb 2013     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Daniela is right, we simplify saying two juices or two teas but we mean two glasses/boxes/bottles/ cups of ......
Yolanda
In Spanish we do the same and it is really difficult to make students understands that all liquids are uncountable.

16 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Danielle and Yolanda are right. We can say "I �ll have a juice" or "I �ll have an orange juice". In either case, it �s countable, and is a shortened form, as others said.

Bruce

16 Feb 2013     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Angelcris,
if you have read properly, you would see that my explanation was right, you have only misunderstood it. If you have a look at my examples you can see that a glass is countable, not orange juice. Wink

18 Feb 2013