Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Check these sentences please    

Check these sentences please

carinita
Argentina

Check these sentences please

Hello I rearranged a sentence so that it means the same Is the punctuation OK?
Sentence from the book:
In the 1500s people in Poland lighted their street lamps with oil.
My sentence:
In Poland, in the 1500s, street lamps burned oil to produce light.

and... Is this question right?
Where did the French extracted oil from?

Expected answer is " French people/The French excavated/extracted oil from sand."

Thanks a bunch

16 Feb 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

The functional meaning of the two sentences are close enough, although I think the book should have used "lit" rather than "lighted." Maybe the regular form is acceptable now, but I learned the irregular form as a child.

The question, however, is not quite correct. I would say, "What did the French extract oil from?" More formally correct for the grammar police is "From what did the French extract oil?" Truly picky grammarians don �t like to end a sentence with a preposition. You need to use "what" instead of "where" because sand is a thing, not a place. And in English, for both the simple present and simple past, we use do as an auxiliary verb for negatives and questions, which you did. However, grammatical markers are attached to "do" and not to the main verb. As I like to tell my students, "Change the do, not the main verb." That is so counter-intuitive for most of them.

16 Feb 2013     

carinita
Argentina

where... extracted.... Embarrassed I �ve been on holidays recently I �ll have to work hard to catch up this back-to-school season Have a nice weekend Handshake
       p.s precisely, I wasn�t sure were to place "from" Thanks! 
 p.s 2 how about:...What from did the French extract oil?

16 Feb 2013     

Apodo
Australia

p.s 2 how about:...What from did the French extract oil? - Not correct

From what .....?  correct

16 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

The preposition always goes in front of the object of the preposition in English. What from just sounds wrong.

16 Feb 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Thumbs Up

17 Feb 2013