Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SPEAKING    

SPEAKING

pilarmham
Spain

SPEAKING

I have a group of 22 exceptional students this year, who will be at university in 2014-15. I love finding resources for them, different activities, videos, worksheets, songs (which very often cannot be done in class, so I send them via Edmodo), but... I have the feeling that I don �t give them enough time to speak. We share three 50-minute classes a week and there are so many things to do!: grammar points, vocabulary, textbook, workbook, exams, impossible days...

I �d love to know how you manage. Wacko

20 Feb 2013      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Do you have class in L2 ALL the time ? That should give them time to speak! When you work with texts from the books, oral parts of exams, listening comprehension exercises, movies, songs, I �d say that �s a lot of speaking! Either that or I didn �t understand exactly what you mean ...

20 Feb 2013     

pilarmham
Spain

yes, we do all that, but I feel I speak too much, or the videos and listening recordings do, there is not much interaction, there is not much time for each individual student to speak. Perhaps I mean: are there any activities that could help?

20 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Mingling activities are great for allowing your students to speak. In mingling activities all the students get to speak at the same time.
Also you could use more small group activities with readings and grammar, in this way they also get the chance for interaction and speaking.
Also think-pair-share is a great activity for exceptional students:)
Sophia

20 Feb 2013     

perma
Greece

Perhaps you could organize short activities that involve speaking, have a fun element and are not neccessarily related to the topics or structures you are currently teaching. Because trying to do something relevant to the lesson of the day narrows down the possibilities a lot.

Some ideas that come to mind: 

Organize debates. You might present them with a list of topics so they can choose one every week and ask them to prepare their arguments before the next class as part of their homework.

Give them cards with funny, every day situations where 2 people are involved and let them prepare role-plays in pairs, which they can perform for their classmates to watch. This can be a lot of fun.

You might try story telling card games. I was browsing through some sites today for games for one of my groups. This one seemed interesting http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1001.php but there could be others, too.

And a last one, it �s a game I �ve read about at some ESL site some time ago: One of the students writes three sentences about three different events in his / her life on the board. Only one of the sentences must be true. The other two must be lies but still sound plausible. The other students have to ask questions about the three events trying to spot the lies. The first time you should play the part of the liar to demonstrate the game. It �s a lot of fun if you choose interesting stories and arouse their curiosity.

HTH Smile

20 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Some ideas from here could help as well...

20 Feb 2013     

tobysmum
Spain

Hi,
if they like music, have you tried
 www.lyricstraining.com/ all my students love it, regardless of their ages!!
Sandra

21 Feb 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Here there are lots of ws with which you can have them speak :

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/search.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=conversation+cards&username=&B2=Search

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/search.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=speaking&username=&B2=Search

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/search.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=oral+skills&username=&B2=Search

21 Feb 2013     

pilarmham
Spain

Thank you very much for your help and your great ideas!  Hug

21 Feb 2013