Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > order of adjectives    

order of adjectives

[email protected]
Spain

order of adjectives

yesterday (I think) I downloaded a very good WS about the order of adj.
ex: I bought a nice white checked skirt, but if I add the material "cotton"
Would it be: I bought a nice white cotton checked skirt??? I explain this to my sudents with the mnemonics: OPISIAGE COLORMATY (colour/ material/type). Does it make sense????

Thanks  a lot

20 Feb 2013      

yanogator
United States

"checked" is treated as a color here, so it should be "a nice, white, checked cotton skirt".

Bruce

20 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Checked" is a pattern, but Bruce is right in his order. In English, we generally go from more general to more specific. An adjective that also partly acts as an adverb by describing another adjective goes before the adjective is describes. It is still an adjective because ultimately it describes the noun.

Here �s your example: A (article) nice (very general opinion) white (color, and describes the next quality a little also) checked (pattern) permanent-press (I added this as an illustration, partly describes the material) cotton (material) skirt (noun).

Practically speaking, we rarely use more than three adjectives, and even three is uncommon. They just get lost.

20 Feb 2013