Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A word    

A word

silvia.patti
Italy

A word

In my textbook there is this text: "I don �t mind listen to U2 but they are a bit old-fashioned. I prefer the Jonas Brothers. Anyway, the U2 albums are over in the shop. Do you want to listen to one?"
What does over mean in this contest? Is it everywhere or finished?
Thanks
Silvia

25 Feb 2013      

ertugrultemur
Turkey

I think no more left...

25 Feb 2013     

drothe
Poland

It means "at some place that is not here" - you could put the word "there" in its place and get the same idea. We even often say something is "over there"meaning it is not here but some other place.

25 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

At the beginning, it should be "I don �t mind listening to U2..."

"Over" means "at some distance away". It could be a large or small distance.

My keys are over on the desk. Could you get them for me, please?

Los Angeles is over in California, so I don �t visit there often.

Would you like to come over to my house tonight? (Some people say "over my house", but that just doesn �t sound right to me).

Bruce

25 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sarebbe forse �laggiu � ... same as they �re over there in the shop. Sorry can �t do the accent on the �u � of laggiu �.

Lina

25 Feb 2013     

silvia.patti
Italy

Yes Bruce, I wrote wrong Tongue
Thanks to everyone
Silvia

25 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Lynne, you actually can do the  �  that you need. Victor has "character map" in our forum. When you are writing your post, it �s the funny die-looking thing just to the left of the smiley face. Click it, find the special character you need (The � is in the bottom row), click it and it appears in your text. Nifty!

Bruce

25 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, Bruce! That is really great.

Mandolina x x x 

Oh, once I get going in Italian.....la lingua la pi� bella del mondo, non � vero? 

25 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Lynne,
I think many people here would disagree that Italian is the most beautiful language in the world, but I have to admit that it does have a beautiful sound, and is a very expressive language.

Bruce

25 Feb 2013