Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > choosing the correct word    

choosing the correct word

bibikos
Greece

choosing the correct word

Good morning dear friends,

I �ve got this sentence from a test  in which students had to choose the correct word to fill in. Two of the options were blind and disabled. The correct answer was supposed to be blind, but many students chose disabled. Do you think it may be right?

There are special dogs which help ______ people.

thanks

26 Feb 2013      

Poppingdale
Portugal

Hi, bibikos.

Both options are correct because there are dogs that help blind people and dogs that help people with reduced mobility fetch things and do other simple tasks, for example. In my opinion, you should consider both of them correct.
Hugs!

26 Feb 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello.
Yes I would say it is right.
In the UK for example Dogs for the Disabled trains registered assistance dogs to help people with disabilities live a more independent life.
In Canada for example we have a non-profit charitable organization that provide the visually impaired or blind people with professionally trained guide dogs. It is called Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind.
I hope this helps.
Have a great day.

26 Feb 2013     

bibikos
Greece

thanks so much for your help

have a great day!

26 Feb 2013     

Apodo
Australia

And there are dogs who help people with a hearing impairment by drawing their attention to doorbells, alarms etc.

26 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

Both are correct, blindness is considered a disability.

disability: A physical or mental condition that limits a person�s movements, senses, or activities.

26 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

In the US, political correctness has rendered both options improper. We are forced to say "visually impaired" instead of "blind", and various other options, such as "differently abled", instead of "disabled".

Bruce

26 Feb 2013