Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Are false friends the same to all of us ?    

Are false friends the same to all of us ?

spinney
United Kingdom

Moody �s right! Please do those worksheets! The more we have the better. If they are false friends in Spanish they are often false friends in other romance languages. Besides,  I was looking forward to using them some day! Wink

26 Feb 2013     

florimago
Spain

Thanks moody moody for your nice words and you are right this place suits a wide range of needs and that �s why it �s awesome

26 Feb 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I saw your posts and these examples came to mind immediately !
Sensible = sensato in Spanish
Sensitive = sensible in Spanish
Actual = real in Spanish
Dessert = postre, not desierto!
Fabric = tela, not f�brica!
And so many more!

26 Feb 2013     

florimago
Spain

Great, aliciapc !!!

26 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Moody, better than that in German is English mist= a light fog or a light spray. German mist = dung.

Bruce

26 Feb 2013     

lurdesilva
Portugal

Interesting thread...
By the way, Bruce, the word for "pull" in Portuguese is "puxe", but the sound is almost the same as in English.
Another false friend my students have some trouble with is "actually", which is similar to the  Portuguese word "atualmente" and means "nowadays" in English.

26 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwU8eKKyiw
Here �s a video on German/English false friends--by the way these guys (Jim and Alex) are great for the classroom--they have a LOT of relevant videos online.

27 Feb 2013     

< Previous   1    2