Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > GREAT WEBSITE! for evaluation grids    

GREAT WEBSITE! for evaluation grids

_babz
Canada

GREAT WEBSITE! for evaluation grids

Hello everyone!

My school held a conference today for all the english teachers around Montreal (Canada).

Anyway,

Someone gave me a site, where you can pretty much create an evaluation grid...

Tell me what you think!

24 Jan 2009      

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Thanks for sharing the information!!!!!!!! Smile

24 Jan 2009     

Isabel L
Spain

Thanks!! I�ve just had a look and I find it really useful.

24 Jan 2009     

maayyaa
Slovenia

Thanks! It is a great site! I find it so useful to have something I can fall back on when I do oral evaluations!

Cheers!

24 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you It�s really interesting but I don�t quite understand how to use it!

I have devised one with my criteria and then???

Do I give one to each student?

how regularly do they evaluate themselves?  

Do they keep the sheet in their books to check improvement Etc..

It�s not very clear to me but I haven�t read the whole thing yet!

Maybe you can answer some of my questions!

Thank you and have a nice day.Smile

24 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks tbabalis!

It�s a great site &  a really useful thing to have for students. I�m in the middle of designing an elective English course (on the off chance I get to use one this year). I am a big fan of giving students a clear rubric for each assignment. Using a tool like that gives me a chance to challenge their expectations of what an assignment & assessment can be.

By designing a rubric it not only clarifies things for my students but also helps me to clarify what I want the assignment to achieve. It has the dual function of ensuring my directions & assessment criteria are easily understood by myself, the students, their parents & other faculty members and also ensure that my assessment process & criteria will stand up to scrutiny from senior teaching staff or Education Board members.

I find that giving the rubric when you assign the work is the best thing. That way you can use it in discussion with the students when explaining the assignment itself. For folios I usually make sure that it is physically attached to their folio for ongoing reference.

Thank you again!
ab

24 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

What a cool site! It is now safely saved in my bookmarks for future use!

24 Jan 2009     

_babz
Canada

Great! I thought you guys would like it!

Just to respond to:

Do I give one to each student? Well, in my education system, you have to, and I think it�s a great way of giving feedback to a student, cause a 78% doesn�t mean anything, if he doesn�t know "why he got it".

how regularly do they evaluate themselves?   As for evaluating themselves, there are some teachers that ask students to do this, especially during long projects, where the teacher might not always have been around...so i�d say, during long term assignments.

Do they keep the sheet in their books to check improvement Etc..You could give them the sheet, or you can keep it in your own files, and when it is time to do the report card, well, you can back up your grades.

hope that helps

24 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

A study has just been completed in NZ that looked into educational aspects to help students progress and achieve. it involved thousands of students and schools from around the world. What came out on top was that the most effective tool for students to make progress and for students to be successful was NOT a good nights sleep, small class sizes or parental help (although we know that they have a part to play)...
it was:

Specific TEACHER FEEDBACK, when I child KNOWS and can EXPLAIN where they went wrong, what they need to improve on and gets specific feedback from the teacher they then go on to IMPROVE :-)

I will try to find the story that ran in the NZ herald a few days back...

ok found the story but not the actual study, just the editorial that was in the paper...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10550580

24 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Yes it does help tbabalis!

I have already been on the site and devised one for my students who had to do some research

on Wales! I chose my own criteria, of course and it will be very useful when it comes to

correction which will be one of the criteria !In effect most of the time, students find correction

unimportant  and if I give them a rubric to fill in during the correction, they will of course

understand better why it is relevant to do a good correction and to do research properly, not

just cut and paste from the internet!

Thank you  very much for your answer . This will be of great help to me!

Mariethe from France under gails and rain and snow!!

24 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Here�s a link to a very handy pdf from the University of Waikato - Assessment: Feedback to promote student learning.

While it isn�t the actual study (The Power of Feedback, Hattie & Timperley, 2007)  that cheezels wrote about, it does reference that study.

Cheers,
ab

24 Jan 2009