Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help me out, please :)    

help me out, please :)

MartaZ
Poland

help me out, please :)

Hi guys,
I �m a little confused and I thought the forum is the best place to ask :)

How would you complete the gap in the following sentence?

�Sorry I haven �t fixed the plug. I _________ (mean) to get round to it, but I just haven �t found the time. �

According to the key, it should be �I was meaning �. Is present perfect wrong here? If so, why?

Thanks in advance!

1 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

Both "I meant to" and "I was meaning to" are correct and commonly used. The difference between the simple past and the past continuous is the emphasis. The simple past is for an action at a single time in the past. It is a simple statement that at a time before now, I had the intention of doing that. The past continuous emphasizes that the intention occurred over a period of time. Using "I was meaning to" tries to elicit a little sympathy from the person who has been disappointed.

I hope this helps you. Our tenses can be very confusing.

Bruce

1 Mar 2013     

MartaZ
Poland

Thanks a lot, Bruce! Now tell me, is  �I �ve been meaning to but ... � wrong? If yes, why?

1 Mar 2013     

dany.Tunisia 123
Tunisia

i think the right answer is "i meant to", which means i really had the intention to fix it but didn �t find time and haven �t found the time until now to do it !

1 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

I didn �t even think of "I �ve been meaning to, but...". It is also correct, and maybe even the most commonly used of the three options.

Bruce

1 Mar 2013