Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A plea for sanity on National Grammar Day    

A plea for sanity on National Grammar Day

almaz
United Kingdom

A plea for sanity on National Grammar Day

One in the eye for the Grammar Police. Well worth a read:

4 Mar 2013      

douglas
United States

Clap

4 Mar 2013     

Zora
Canada

Another bravo! Wholeheartedly agree with the article.

4 Mar 2013     

mvblair
United States

Thanks for the link, Almaz. I liked the article.

I �ve never really understood the obsession that many people have with grammar. I understand that a basic amount of grammar is necessary to learn the language and communicate, but I don �t understand why 21st century schools have this odd compulsion to make teaching object pronouns or conditional pluperfect cornerstones in our language arts programs.

If somebody makes a grammatical mistake, "big deal." Wink

4 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It should be �grocers � apostrophe.

Seriously, the tone of this article is so snide, sneery, scornful and superior, it made me want to gag. And I didn�t actually know there was a National Grammar Day, but I�m pleased it�s March 4th, �cos that�s my birthday! 

A plea for sanity?!!!! What? Nothing like a nice bit of hyperbole, eh, almaz? 

4 Mar 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Any grammar must, by definition, be a set of rules, but what so many people are hung up on are those �zombie rules � which are completely arbitrary and often based on personal preference (like split infinitives and ending a sentence with a preposition).

@Lynne    Please enlighten us: what exactly is so "snide, sneery,scornful and superior" about the article? You could start with "snide".

4 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I don �t know any of these people who who are hung up on �zombie rules �, I �m afraid. I can �t imagine anyone these days being seriously bothered by split infinitives or ending a sentence with a preposition, this is decades old stuff to be bothered about.

As for my string of adjectives, I �m just expressing my opinion and anyone can form their own, without further enlightenment from me. 

I think there �s a bit of reverse grammar snobbery going on here.

4 Mar 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

And Kory Stamper is entitled to his opinion too. I really can�t see what �s so "snide", "sneery" or, especially, "superior" (quite the opposite, I�d imagine) about his opinions, Lynne.

Oh, and Many Happy Returns!

4 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fair enough and thank you!
Lynne

5 Mar 2013