Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > THE OR NO ARTICLES????    

THE OR NO ARTICLES????

vuthanhtam
Vietnam

THE OR NO ARTICLES????

I have this sentence: 
..............coffee without milk is yours

In this blank, should we use THE or No article? In my opinion, No article is suitable. However in theory, if the noun has post-modifier, the noun is definite. So, i �m just wondering........Could you explain me,plz?
Thanks in advance

5 Mar 2013      

Jayho
Australia

We are talking about a specific countable item, "your coffee" (your cup of coffee) so it needs a definite article beforehand

The coffee without milk is yours = correct

If you left off the article it wouldn�t sound right unless the speaker was using informal language, e.g. you are at the cafe and the waitperson puts two coffees on the table and says "(the) coffee without milk is yours and (the) coffee with milk is yours " as they put them in front of you

Cheers

Jayho

5 Mar 2013     

vuthanhtam
Vietnam

Thanks you very much,Jayho ^^

5 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Jayhoo is exactly right, but I need to add something about your statement about a noun with a post-modifier. It isn �t always definite.

A person could say "Coffee without milk is delicious", in which case it is definitely not definite.

Ah, English, so many rules and so many exceptions!

Bruuuuuce

5 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

But Bruuuuuuce

(sorry, but your grammar knowledge is better than mine so I �d like to raise this q)

In your sentence coffee is uncountable so wouldn �t that then be the reason for no article/derterminer?

so:

Coffee without milk is delicious = general statement

(my/this) coffee without milk is delicious = a specific coffee ?

Just wondering about this while on my coffee break :-)

Cheers

Jayhoo

5 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

OK, Jaydiho, I �ll agree with that. My point was just that having a post-modifier doesn �t make everything definite. My broader point was that the "rules" that our colleagues learn are not written in stone (as Alex likes to point out, much to my edification).

Brucioso

5 Mar 2013     

abitano
Argentina

Jayho, let me add here (or ask): a noun being uncountable is no reason for dropping the definite article, or is it? You say "the coffee in my cup is too sweet" and it �s still uncountable. 
You �re making me feel like a cup right now!

Laura

5 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi abitanio

I �ll leave that for Bruciososo to answer as I �m now on my lunchio breako and I �m all grammared out. 

Cheerio

Jaydioho

5 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi abitano

I see that Bruce hasn�t been back so I�ll post my answer to your question but he might be able to provide a more detailed answer.

Sometimes the definite article is used with uncount nouns, for example when a prepositional phrase is used to modify the noun. In your example we are talking about something specific, the coffee in that particular cup, your cup. It is not just about coffee in general but about your cup of coffee (which I hope you enjoyed).  "The coffee in my cup is too sweet" needs a definite article beforehand.

There are few internet references on post modifiers/articles but this one kind of covers it in a general way.  For me, being a NS, I know what is right but then I have to find the reason which is often a challenge.  Hopefully my reason here is on the right track and that Bruce will correct me if I�m not.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Mar 2013     

abitano
Argentina

Hi Jayho!
That�s all clear enough, I totally agree and I know that when referring to specific things we use the definite article. I was just saying that the "uncountableness" is not in itself a reason for droppping the definite article (definito articloso). The specificity also works with countables for that matter..."The oranges I bought yesterday are delicious" "I love oranges". I hope I �ve made myself understood. BTW, thanks for the link -useful and quite clear  to be used with students!!!

Anyway, I still haven �t had THAT cup I was craving for but, instead, I �m writing over a delicious  Argentine "mate" (pronounced something around /mah te/  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

Have a nice day!!!

6 Mar 2013