Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Remedial Lessons for young Adults    

Remedial Lessons for young Adults

puddyd
Oman

Remedial Lessons for young Adults

Good evening all, 

I need some help please and advice.

I �ll be starting a new course for 7 students who have failed their beginner English course twice. Their main problem is a lack of the basics.They are unable to read, which in turn affects their reading, writing and  listening ,as they are unable to recognise and process the sounds and therefore are not able to spell correctly .They �ve never been taught phonetics and so struggle to hear and transcribe what they hear. THey are between 18 and 20 years old. 

Can you suggest any helpful books websites and particularity, suggestions for a syllabus, with ideas for basic outlines of learner expectations and outcomes/ targets.

I also need to give them extra work to do in the computer lab like very easy web quests or ideas for beginner computer based CALL type lessons. 

I know it �s a tall order, but I was loaded with it today and I need to produce a miracle by Saturday, our week starts on Sat and ends on Wednesdays.

Any suggestions and help would be most welcome.Thanks in advance.

6 Mar 2013      

abitano
Argentina

Hi!
I �ve seen some good ideas in this forum:
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/forum-topic/help-adult-false-beginners

Also, do you know the book series: "New English File" (Oxford University Press) -beginner �s level
and "Language to Go" (Pearson ELT)?

Regards,

Laura

6 Mar 2013     

sarguero
Spain

This web site should be useful      http://www.learningchocolate.com/category/basic   

They can learn basic english vocabulary and then make exercises with the computer. First they study the topic and after this they make the kind of exercise (match 1, match 2, match 3...) you think is more suitable for your students level.

You can do oral and writing activities after this... for instance they study colours and animals with the computer and tell and write simple sentences like these:

The cat is black and the dog is brown and white.

There is a brown monkey and a grey elephant.

How many black animals can you see? I see a dog, two ducks and a bull.

6 Mar 2013