Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > modal verbs    

modal verbs

marwashehab
Egypt

modal verbs

can anyone help me for a good discussion to teach modal verbs for elementary stage.

9 Mar 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

What about talking about rules in general (rules at school, rules at homes, rules at the beach or at the park...)?
for example: you can use your mp3 player outside but you mustn �t use it in class or in the corridors... you can wear a bathing suit at the beach but it �s fordidden to wear one in town. You shouldn �t stay up late when you have school the next day.
do you see what I mean?
take care!

9 Mar 2013     

marwashehab
Egypt

Thanks Elojolie274 for your ideas

9 Mar 2013     

maceman
Canada

Recently I had to look for similar activities.

I found Penny Ur �s - Grammar Practice Activities - A Practical Guide for Teachers helpful.

She suggests a number of activities which may be suitable for your class.
In brief, she suggests you could:

1. Hand out a sheet of well known international symbols that express permission or obligation.
You can then ask the students either orally or in writing t tell you what the symbols mean using can, can �t, must, mustn �t.

2. Choose a game that all students know. After putting some basic information on the board about the game invite the students to list its rules using modals such as: may,may not, can, can �t, must, mustn �t.

3. Ask students to offer advice to anyone coming to your school for the first time. The kinds of things they should and shouldn �t do or must and mustn �t do.  (ie You must come to school on time.)

She has several other good ideas and explains them in more detail than I am doing.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

9 Mar 2013