Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Number of rooms in a house    

Number of rooms in a house

lurdesilva
Portugal

Number of rooms in a house

Hi everyone!

I �d like to ask for your help on the correct way to count the rooms in a house. Do we consider the basement and attic rooms? Do we include the bathrooms or toilets? What about the hall? If there is a bedroom with an en suite bathroom does it make 1 or 2 rooms?

Thanks in advance!

12 Mar 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In American English (not sure about Europe) you would usually hear a house or appartment referred to as having one/two/three bedrooms... you would describe it mentioning the hall, the kitchen, the living room, dining room and bedrooms, I guess.
Sophia

12 Mar 2013     

elowe
United Kingdom

In England we count the number of bedrooms. Eg. It �s a four bedroomed house or It �s a three bed semi, a two bed flat etc.
When we go on to describe the house/flat that �s forsale we then talk about the number of reception rooms (eg. lounge, kitchen, dining room). The hall, bathrooms, cellars etc are all extras that we mention seperately.

In England we use the term flat as opposed to appartment in America,

Emma

12 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we either state only the number of bedrooms (and sometimes the number of bathrooms, too), or the number of rooms, not including bathrooms.

I live in a 3-bedroom house.
I live in a 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom house.
I live in a 6-room house (living room, dining room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms).
I used to live in a 3-room apartment (kitchen, living room and bedroom. It also had a bathroom).

All of these are common here.

Bruce

12 Mar 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

In Quebec, apartments are described with the number of rooms it has plus half.
For example, a 4 1/2 means 4 rooms (kitchen, living room and 2 bedrooms) plus the bathroom.

For example, I live in a 5  1/2. My apartment has 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room and the 1/2 is for bathroom.

When describing a house, we go the same as Bruce explained.

12 Mar 2013     

mvblair
United States

What if I am supposed to have a 3 bedroom house, but my wife uses all three bedrooms for her art supplies and scrapbooking things? Big smile

12 Mar 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

mvblair, go to the basement. That �s probably all yours.

12 Mar 2013