Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > teaching very young children    

teaching very young children

martuchi73
Spain

teaching very young children

Hi, my name is Marta and I am a teacher of secundary school. But,I �m "accidentally" teaching English to a 5 years old group of children. I really need some help THEY ARE CHILDREN.
Could you give me some advice, please?
What and how should I work with them?
Thanks a lot,
MARTA

26 Mar 2013      

alvalen
United States

Hi,

The main challenge is to keep them occupied. They get bored easily. You need to plan lots of activities for them.

Use games, songs, etc.

The type of content depends on what they should be learning (the curriculum).

Good luck!!

26 Mar 2013     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Hi, Marta

I agree with alvalen. You need to plan lots of different activities for the class. Use some simple Hello and Goodbye songs to start and finish your class, use some rhymes like Head and shoulders to let them move and have a short break during the class.
You can find different games and ideas on the forum. here is the link:

26 Mar 2013     

joass
Spain

Sent you a PM

26 Mar 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

Dreamenglish.com has some great songs for that age range - you can also look on Youtube for childrens tv shows like Telly tubbies or magic roundabout or postman Pat...

There are lots of worksheets on this site which you should find useful. If you don �t have a set curriculum I would work on topics such as colours, numbers, shapes, my body, in the classroom.

I also made a lot of memory games where the pupils have to find matching cards with pictures and words on them - when they get a match they have to say the word out loud!

Hope that this helps

Cindy

26 Mar 2013