Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dreams    

Dreams

Jayho
Australia

Hi all

Thanks for your fantabulous responses to my moment of curiosity.

When I was doing my TESOL post grad some years back, one of my lecturers said, or maybe I read it somewhere, that  once someone dreams 100% in English then they have basically made the transition to being totally comfortable at fluently speaking, living and breathing the language of their new English speaking country, or something along those lines.  

My Mum, who basically never used her native tongue here, or even taught it to her children (sob sob), tried so hard to live and breathe English, especially as she was a primary school teacher and conscious of her strong Dutch accent and what the Australian parents would think.  She says it took 30 years for her to actually dream 100% in English, which is basically 30 years of being totally immersed in an English speaking country.

Glad you all liked this post. I loved reading your responses.  I�d love to see some literature on this area but I don�t know of any.  Do you?

Happy Easter

Cheers

Jayho

P.S. Happy Birthday Marion - may all your dreams, whichever language they may be in, come true

28 Mar 2013     

mariannina
Italy

Sorry Jayho, I never remember my dreams, but I often find myself thinking in the language that I am using or that I �ve just used: English, French (I speak this language with only one friend and she forgives me LOL), last but not least Sicilian, the language I use with my relatives but not with my close family, maybe because we leave far from "our Country", but if I meet a Sicilian, I start speaking my mother language.
Hugs and kisses.
Granny

28 Mar 2013     

< Previous   1    2